Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morbidly obese - how to get started exercising? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Some help from Mark @ youtube.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Remember that body composition is 80% about nutrition and only 20% about exercise so at this point the most important thing is to make sure you are eating right. You should see awesome results early on by being careful about what you eat and making it a point to walk more.

Once you're weight loss plateaus even though you're eating correctly, ramp up the exercise a little bit to jump start things. I like this strategy for a couple of reasons:

1. Changing a lot of things at the same time is hard. If you just concentrate on changing your eating habits right now you'll have an easier time sticking to it than if you totally change your whole lifestyle.

2. I like to do things in steps and have "an ace in the hole" that I can use to jump start my progress when I start getting stuck. If you fix everything at once you'll get frustrated when you inevitably stall out because you feel like you are doing everything right and there's no explanation for your lack of success.

This would be my plan if I wanted to lose 100 lbs:

1. Start following the primal eating plan and walk more. Take the stairs a little more often instead of an elevator or escalator. Eventually my weight loss will stall, hopefully I'll be down at least 20-30 lbs by this point. So I'd...

2. Make sure I'm keeping up with Step 1 and add a little more exercise. Maybe on my walks I'd start to jog a little bit. Not too much, maybe just run from one telephone pole to the next and then continue walking until I catch my breath and feel up to trying it again. I'm mostly walking but just getting my body used to the idea that I'm going to run from time to time. I'd start doing some body weight exercises, calisthenics, or even some light weight lifting if I had access to that type of thing. Again, I'm not trying to kill myself, just get my body used to the idea that I'm going to use these muscles from time to time. This will get my ligaments and tendons in shape and get my muscles used to the stress of working out. This will help prevent me from getting too sore or injuring myself when I pick up the intensity a few months later in step 3...

3... The next time I feel like I need to pick things up I'd ramp up the exercise. Maybe start running a little harder on the running portions of my walk and see if I can shorten the walk intervals a little bit. I'd get myself on a basic weightlifting regiment. Nothing too fancy. Just start lifting heavy things. Pressing, pulling, and squatting on a regular schedule. I'd start with really light weights but push myself to improve and track my progress so I could look back and see how much improvement I've made if I ever feel like things aren't working.

4. From this point I'd have some pretty good life habits and I'd just need to figure out what's important and challenge myself continuously to get a little better. If I feel like I need to break through a rut, I might try a Whole 30 for a month where I am ultra strict about what I eat. Or maybe I'd concentrate on a more intense workout program. Or I could focus on running/sprinting to improve that aspect of my training. Or I could give up TV or internet for a month and challenge myself to be a little more active in my recreational activities.

You get overweight from having bad lifestyle habits, you fix it by changing those habits over the long haul. I think you'll have better success if you just work on one thing at a time.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by dgreenwood; 10-03-2012 at 10:26 AM.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Thanks JoanieL!

Binti1962 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all so much for your tips guidance and encouragement. I really appreciate the posts. Im going to focus on diet foe a little while then atart in gradually with the exercise.

Take care,
    Sarah

GeoMike is offline Junior Member
    Hi Binti! It sounds like you're on the right track. Focus on eating right and eating enough! Make sure you get rid of all grains and absolutely do not replace them with any of that gluten free, processed stuff. Cut back on fruit and dairy (possibly cut dairy out entirely if you find that it bothers you). Don't be afraid of consuming plenty of fat. Finally, eat until you're full (not stuffed to the point of being uncomfortable, but full). That should be more than enough for now. As the other posters said above, you shouldn't really need to do any exercise other than walking at the moment. Go as far as you feel comfortable, and don't overdo it. If it is at all encouraging, I went from about 225 lbs at the end of May to 185 lbs even as of this morning by just eating right and walking. Good luck and welcome!

MistressM is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Binti1962 View Post
    hI, Im new to this site but am loving what Im finding here! i have been eating primal for three days now, and have lost 4 lbs. i would like to start in incorporating exercise into my day, but am 100 pounds over weight and have very poor exercise tolerance. How do I start? Any ideas for the very obese?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    There is an exercise hidden in this book, plus a lot of humour to keep you motivated and some great recipe ideas. "Why and How to Make Yogurt: Another Deconstruction by the Mistresses of Mistakes [Kindle Edition]"

I'll echo what has already been said - walk a lot and focus on nutrition until you are in a position to do harder workouts. Early rounds of pushups and so forth are also good.

It can be tempting to watch things like "Biggest Loser" and see very obese people doing lots of intense-looking workouts. Those people are constantly monitored by health professionals, though - and even they suffer all kinds of injuries, etc.

Good luck - and remember, it's persistence that pays the most dividends!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Eating, as they say, is 80% of the way to weight loss success! My sister is morbidly obese too (she has lost a few kg in the past few months though... mostly from eating, although she works out as well). At the moment she goes to the gym 5 days a weight and is into lifting quite heavy weights (she does the weight lifting M, W, F and does cardio the other days).

Mind you, she doesn't eat primal/paleo! I'm just using her as an illustration that morbidly obese people CAN get in some good workouts! If you find it difficult to do cardio, just concentrate on weights, which are generally better for you anyway. I think it's a lot harder for heavier people to do stuff like push ups, planks, pull ups etc. simply because they've got a LOT more bodyweight to lift (I'm pretty sure if I were at my goal weight, I'd be able to do a pull up... can't do it at my current weight though!).

Apart from that, daily walking is always excellent, as it's just about moving!!

All that being said, keep the focus on the way you eat, and you'll probably find exercise becomes easier as the pounds start to fall off. I know that last time I lost weight, I suddenly found doing particular things became much easier (like stepping up onto something high... it was MUCH harder when I was heavier, and became quite easy after I'd lost weight... it's not that I became stronger, just that my poor body didn't have to lift as much to get me up there!).

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Some help from Mark @ youtube.
    This. This and walking are what you need to do. Technically I am over 100 lbs overweight too. I don't want to lose 100 lbs, but at the very least I want to lose 60 more... on top of the 24 I have already lost (all on primal). I know how hard starting to exercise is, and honestly I don't do enough, but I do these exercises and I walk. I am adding in sprints very soon too! You'll do awesome! Keep us updated on your progress. Have you started a journal? I would live to follow your story!

Misti is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Binti1962 View Post
    i have been eating primal for three days now, and have lost 4 lbs. i would like to start in incorporating exercise into my day, but am 100 pounds over weight and have very poor exercise tolerance. How do I start? Any ideas for the very obese?
    Hi, Sarah,

You're getting some very good advice already, but I wanted to reiterate what some have said -- it's probably enough to move around as much as is comfortable for now (walking, stretching, etc) and concentrate on eating clean for now. As you get healthier movement will come more and more easily.

I don't pay attention to my weight. I went primal entirely to resolve arthritis and pain -- but I am down from a size 28/30 to a small size 16 anyway. At size 28, I was as active as I could be, but I was in a great deal of pain in every joint. The pain went away LONG before the weight shifted. As the pain went away, I found I moved more and more just because it felt so good. At around size 20, I started feeling so energetic that I *wanted* to move--lots! So, I started walking. I started slow -- 7/10 of a mile from my office to the local craft store every so often. Over time I wanted more and more. Now I walk 2.5 miles 3 times per week and I am looking for a destination that's closer to 3 miles from my office so I can move up again. I could never have imagined it before, but now, I am able to do my 2.5 miles, then go home and cook dinner! No aches and pains, no need to rest. I have started to do so "proto-squats" (I have very weak knees because of babyign them through arthritis for so many years) and qi gong longevity exercises from time to time, too. By spring, I hope to be doing wall pushups and maybe real squats.

My advice from one big girl to another: pay attention to nourishing yourself and eliminating the inflammatory toxins and just listen to your body - you'll know when it's time and you'll know what your body wants to do.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast