Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eeek Dark Chocolate & nasty side effects page

freedom.please is offline Senior Member

eeek Dark Chocolate & nasty side effects

Shop Now
    Last night I treated myself to about 75g of Green & Blacks 85% dark chocolate.. oh boy... this was not good. I quickly took on a nauseous stomach and a really bad head ache.

-apparently too much dark chocolate can have some pretty upsetting side effects

-Who else has had similar experiences?
    -Does any one have suggestions how to get over this? (just have to give it time?)
    -Why does this happen?

very interesting but not how I wanted to find out!

Dark chocolate still has refined sugar in it, i wouldnt eat it personally.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Some people are more sensitive to sugar than others.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    That exact chocolate is my preferred one. The sugar is negligible really, at least when you eat it in reasonable quantities. I have a bar in my desk drawer here and will have a couple of squares as a "dessert" from my lunch, or as a snack now and then. Six squares (20g) = 4g of sugar total. But you ate 75g? We're talking ~500 calories worth of chocolate... I think you just OD'd a little . Those bars are not like a snickers bar where you're meant to open it and eat the whole thing
    -Chuck

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Too much of anything is bad.

I eat 85% Vivanni dark chocolate every single day. I eat 1-2 squares. It's amazing and just enough to make me never crave anything sweet. (Right now I'm on a Whole 30 and so I'm not eating it and it hasn't been tough, though I plan on adding it back in since I consider it a "superfood")

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    one of those brands added milk back into their "dark" recipe...could that be the problem?

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I generally stay in the 90% range and have never had an adverse reaction. I finally just quit buying the bars about 6 months ago because I'd demolish them as soon as I got them home. My wife makes dark chocolate on occasion using a bit of honey as the sweetner.. that stuff is amazing.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    That exact chocolate is my preferred one. The sugar is negligible really, at least when you eat it in reasonable quantities. I have a bar in my desk drawer here and will have a couple of squares as a "dessert" from my lunch, or as a snack now and then. Six squares (20g) = 4g of sugar total. But you ate 75g? We're talking ~500 calories worth of chocolate... I think you just OD'd a little . Those bars are not like a snickers bar where you're meant to open it and eat the whole thing
    +1

I find a square or two (or three on bad days) is just perfect. Especially, if you really savor it, letting it sit in your mouth as it melts. Mmmmmmmmm My favorite chocolate bar of late Dolfin (Belgium chocolate) at 88%. It's really rich.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Aside from the fact that 75g at onve might indeed be too much chocolate, I find it hard to believe that it was sugar that caused the discomfort - 10 g of sugar isn't a can of coke or a donut.
    Before this treat had you cut chocolate out completely and now re-introduced it? It might be a sign of intolerance to cocoa rather than sugar. Do you have access to some 100% chocolate or nibs to check that?
    My IgG test actually showed I am very slightly intolerant to chocolate but elimination-reintroduction didn't really show anything, so now I have some chock (80-99% or raw choc/nibs) once in a while (sometimes even more than 75g)

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    +1

My favorite chocolate bar of late Dolfin (Belgium chocolate) at 88%. It's really rich.
    The 88% Dolfin is amazing indeed - I discovered it just a couple of weeks ago. Dolfin in general are really nice although I try to keep away from "commercial" chocolate, choosing organic/raw, if I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast