Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eeek Dark Chocolate & nasty side effects page 2

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    definitely can relate, i gotta pretty bad headaches from the stuff

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    one of those brands added milk back into their "dark" recipe...could that be the problem?
    Here's the ingredients list off the one in my drawer (Green & Black's 85%): organic chocolate, organic cocoa butter, organic cocoa, organic raw cane sugar, organic vanilla extract.
    -Chuck

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    perhaps the caffeine jolt then?!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I used to get nauseated after eating an entire bar. Until one day I got sick and fasted for 3 days because I was nauseated all of the time. And eversince I can eat an entire bar without side effects
    well then

anadolis is offline Junior Member
    Tryptophan overdose?
    The Side Effects Of L-tryptophan | LIVESTRONG.COM

It's the substance in chocolate that helps boost serotonin levels, and is awesome in appropriate quantities, but apparently can cause some discomfort if over-consumed. Don't know if there's enough in dark chocolate to cause this, but looks like you might have crossed that particular threshold!

freedom.please is offline Senior Member
    Thanks every one for the suggestions, I do not think it is sugar or caffeine related. I do feel it may be L-trytophan, read a little about it. Most of all I may just cut out chocolate all together, it is not necessary and after the consequence I got from the dark chocolate the thought makes me shiver. I know I ate too much of it I just couldn't believe how poorly it made me feel

easy enough -- my body does not want or need dark chocolate, just going to stay away from now on...
    "Never regret. If it's good, its wonderful. If it's bad its experience"
    -Victoria Hold
    F/Age 21 height 5' 3"
    HW 134
    CW 124
    GW 120

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freedom.please View Post
    easy enough -- my body does not want or need dark chocolate, just going to stay away from now on...
    Dark chocolate can be a powerful migraine trigger for some people (as can anything else with tannic acid, like red wine, coffee, and black tea). Did you have light and/or sound sensitivity with the nausea and nasty headache? That was probably a migraine.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    75g is way too much chocolate at once -- that's 3/4 of the entire bar. The average serving size is 40g. I used to eat nearly an entire bar of that exact chocolate almost every day, and I often felt the same as you did, minus the headache. Fatigued, sluggish, nauseated, moody, etc. I rarely eat cacao now, but if I do, I try to limit it to less than 20g (ideally around 10g).

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    try 90% chocolate. It's like, the very essence of cocoa, which is to say, bitter. You'll never be able to OD on it and it's very healthy. Definitely solves a chocolate craving!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by freedom.please View Post
    Last night I treated myself to about 75g of Green & Blacks 85% dark chocolate.. oh boy... this was not good. I quickly took on a nauseous stomach and a really bad head ache.

-apparently too much dark chocolate can have some pretty upsetting side effects

-Who else has had similar experiences?
    -Does any one have suggestions how to get over this? (just have to give it time?)
    -Why does this happen?

very interesting but not how I wanted to find out!
    I actually had just 6 squares of the same stuff today, that is half a serving. You ate 2 1/2 servings. The fiber alone is gonna give you issues, then the sugar, then the caffeine... Next time, just have the 1 serving..
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12