Thread: Working up to sprints page

astuart is offline Junior Member

Working up to sprints

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I've been off the primal lifestyle for well over 8 months due to moving house, work/study/family commitments and a few other personal issues.
    I'm at the stage now where I want to start getting back into a bit of a routine exercise wise, and at this point in time, some light cardio suits me better than the heavier lifting I used to do.

I was never much into cardio or anything, and preferred to concentrate on lifting, but I can't do much lifting at this point in time. I've decided I want to start doing some sprints for 10-15 mins about 3 times a week but my fitness base is pretty atrocious, and the fact that I haven't done a whole lot for the past 8 months concerns me.

I'm considering either building up my fitness and stamina up a bit first by doing a basic running program, such as couch-2-5K, or whether to just start doing some walking and then working up to sprints in a shorter timeframe - I'm just not sure what way to go about it.

I'd like to be able to do a 5K jog/run as I feel that's a pretty reasonable amount that somebody should be able to do, so I'm leaning towards that, but I'm not sure whether that's the most efficient path to take - so just after some opinions.

If I went the 5K route, I'd probably hit the 5K, and then start some interval sprints once I hit that mark. If I just did some walking first, I'd look at incorporating some sprints reasonably quickly - but I'm not sure whether I'll have the fitness base required to begin with.

Any opinions on this?

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    The couch to 5k is a pretty cool routine. I already had a decent fitness base but I did it with my fiance to get her into fitness and we both enjoyed it.

Once you have a better fitness base Sprinting would surely be more enjoyable.

Just my take on it.

astuart is offline Junior Member
    That's what I'm leaning towards I think. I couldn't see me enjoying sprints without some semblance of basic fitness, so I think I'll hit that 5K before I do much more cardio wise.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds sensible and probably the best way to avoid injury. You never know, a few weeks under your belt and you may want to take it up a notch!

NextSteps is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If your joints are sound you might consider an alternative interval training on the sprint principle that would be kinder to your joints, since your main concern seems to be injury. That would get you all the Primal cardo benefits while lowering your risk of injury and avoiding jogging...unless you really want that.