Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice/quinoa page

PaleoPanda is offline Member

Rice/quinoa

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I'm new, so be gentle with me!

I saw that Mark included quinoa on his good proteins list.....but it's a grain. And I've heard in Primal circles that rice is a more "benign" carb.

I'm entirely off grains at the moment due to digestive issues related to Crohns and wanting to do this properly. When I'm a bit better, I would like to start doing some endurance training, because I am doing the bike leg of the outlaw triathlon next year in a relay team and I'm guessing I won't be able to bike 112 miles without training a wee bit! And I know if you are doing endurance, your need for carbs is greater.

If you are doing endurance training, how do you get your increased carbs in when staying grain free? Would it be tubers/starchy veg? Or do some people have things like rice and quinoa when training?

Like I said I'm new and just curious...I've also seen that some people do 80% primal and have a bit of 20% "wiggle room". I'm not doing that at the moment, due to illness, but long term, I'm trying to find out how would be best to manage it, especially if I add endurance training into the mix when I am better.

Thanks!
    Panda

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    I belive Quinoas actully a seed, not a grain.. Someone correct me if im wrong..(dosent matter to me cause i think it taste like mouse poo and dont eat it )

Yams/sweet potatoes might be a good option for extra carbs for you.

The 20% rule in my case is good for stuff out of my control and the ocasional happy food splurge which i still try to keep as close to primal as possible without obsessing over every lil detail (such as the small amount of Coconut sugar in the creme brulee i made the other night)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I understand that quinoa is a seed also, but use it so rarely, and mostly as almost a seasoning for a little crunch - like a tablespoon thrown in a dish the last 15 min it's cooking.

Before you assume that you need extra carbs for endurance training, look here (it's a cool read even if you disagree with it) : Western States 100 – Low Carber Wins Ultramarathon – Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek Study | Me and My Diabetes

Well there you go, I'd always thought it was a grain!

I like sweet potato/yam and cassava as well, so maybe those would be the best options if I need to increase carbs, but that was indeed interesting reading, thanks

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to go higher carbs if you're doing endurance training. I probably get 60-70g a day and I train for 1-1.5 hrs daily. Most of my carbs come from starchy vegetables like leeks and winter squashes. If you're training for a triathlon, you might be better off burning fat for fuel and not carbs.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPanda View Post
    And I know if you are doing endurance, your need for carbs is greater.
    Depends on the intensity.
    If you're doing steady state, long distance runs or rides, fat may be your best bet because that's what your body will be burning for fuel at that intensity.
    If you're doing sprint intervals, or anything anaerobic, you'll want to have carbs in your system.
    Most of my workouts are anaerobic, with one lower intensity endurance session a week.
    I get my carbs from some fruits, to refill liver glycogen, sweet potatoes/yams (post-workout), and veggies.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I mostly lift heavy and do intervals, so I like a little more carb in my diet (100-150g generally) and find my physical and mental health is better at that level--YMMV, obviously. I use a lot of potatoes (white and sweet), root vegetables, fruit, and white rice. Quinoa is something I'll eat but don't generally buy, although it makes a nice gluten-free substitute for the bulgur in tabouli.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I'm at 150g carbs at the moment, but rarely reach it (using my fitness pal to track macros). I never have a problem with the fats - I love avocado, coconut and almonds, and when doing a low fat diet I could hardly ever have them.

I guess it's just good to have options, my boyfriend also likes quinoa, and he does a lot of sport, so it might be something we could have for variety as well as potatoes and sweet potatoes on training days, he isn't doing primal, but we eat more or less the same at home because it's easier than cooking two separate meals. The kitchen is gluten free anyway, as I'm coeliac, so it's not like he would really have the option of eating pasta, bread etc at home.

The fat burning instead of carb burning sounds better if it's do-able, it would be nice to be able to avoid the dreaded bonk or have to carry a whole bunch of energy gel around. I can get nauseous when eating during training (before/after not a problem, it's during) and the gels or bananas are about the only thing I can tolerate. Anything solid and I feel like I'm going to puke.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Quinoa is something I'll eat but don't generally buy, although it makes a nice gluten-free substitute for the bulgur in tabouli.
    Oh my GOSH, Owly! I think I love you right now! You just made my day!! I love tabloui and I'm massively allergic to wheat and so I can't have it. And I never even thought of Quinoa as a substitute! Am so happy! Next time I'm up for a carby side dish, I'll break out the bag of Quinoa I have sitting in my freezer.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread PaleoPanda!

Okay, so to contribute to the carbs & sports discussion. I recently heard of a football player who sometimes plays NFL football in a fasted state. Of course I don't know if he carbed up before hand, but if he can go a whole game without eating anything, then perhaps it's more of an issue of finding your own sweet spot.

A lot of experienced Primal eaters have chimed in, with huge variations in the number of carbs they eat. That's normal. Find what works best for you. That said, I happen to like the idea of getting your carbs from colorful items, like the winter squash that was mentioned, etc.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love my fruit and veg, so I have no issue with eating lots of colours

Love the tabouleh idea with the quinoa - will have to try it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast