Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rice/quinoa page 2

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPanda View Post
    The fat burning instead of carb burning sounds better if it's do-able, it would be nice to be able to avoid the dreaded bonk or have to carry a whole bunch of energy gel around. I can get nauseous when eating during training (before/after not a problem, it's during) and the gels or bananas are about the only thing I can tolerate. Anything solid and I feel like I'm going to puke.
    I went hiking in the alps this past summer and on one of my hikes, I ended up only eating Alpine butter for the whole six hours. Um yeah, that's a bit weird, but I stopped at a convenience store, and all I bought was a couple chocolate bars, cheese, a banana, and some local butter. Not really anything to make a nice meal of, but anyway, weirdness aside, every now and then I'd stop at some beautiful cliff/vista and take a bite of butter. I didn't get hungry until later that night, and my energy levels were fine.

I wasn't wearing a watch, and my hike took longer than I realized. It wasn't until after the hike that I realized I'd done the entire hike on butter and water... please don't judge that craziness. lol But yes, fat burning mode is so much better than carb burning mode.

Edit: In case you were wondering the butter was fabulous! It's odd to explain, but when I eat Kerry Gold butter, I feel like it tastes like a grassy meadow. When I ate this Alpine butter, the rich earthy overtones (like KerryGold) weren't there. It was all lightness and flowery. Just like you'd expect an alpine meadow to taste like. Before Primal, I never realized that different butters had different tastes.
    Last edited by lissee; 10-03-2012 at 07:01 AM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I havent fixed quinoa since primal, and I only started fixing it when I thought it was a healthy option. As far as taste, I dont recall it really having one, but rather taking on the flavor that you give it. I seem to fix the same ole things now, maybe the family might enjoy something different Geesh I got to quit looking at recipes & thinking about it. I am fasting and getting hungry
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quinoa soaks up sauces really well, so I eat it sometimes. I don't cook it personally because I'm too lazy but once a year or so my precious mother will make and there's no way I'm turning it down. I've considered making it to have an ALL PROTEIN plate that doesn't just include animal products, because I think that'd be a fun thing to do so yeah I'm not really anti quinoa at all.

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    Alpine butter is amazing. I have memories from childhood holidays in the Alps of it, it has a really fresh taste.

I used to mountain bike with this guy who just ate a few nuts on rides, we were all there with our sports gels and thought he was bonkers. But maybe he wasn't!

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Ha and I bet those nuts were cheaper than your gels. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12