Thread: Is Alzheimer’s Type 3 Diabetes? page

lissee is offline Senior Member

Is Alzheimer’s Type 3 Diabetes?

Primal Fuel
    I saw this article on the NY Times a few days ago, and have been meaning to post parts of it here. I thought others might find it interesting.

Enjoy.
    -Lissee

To read the article in it's entirety, here's the link:
    Is Alzheimer's Type 3 Diabetes? - NYTimes.com
    Evidence suggests that Alzheimer’s might be another form of diabetes, and links both to the overconsumption of junk food.

Is Alzheimer’s Type 3 Diabetes?
    By MARK BITTMAN

[QUOTE]Just in case you need another reason to cut back on junk food, it now turns out that Alzheimer’s could well be a form of diet-induced diabetes. That’s the bad news. The good news is that laying off soda, doughnuts, processed meats and fries could allow you to keep your mind intact until your body fails you.

We used to think there were two types of diabetes: the type you’re born with (Type 1) and the type you “get.” That’s called Type 2, and was called “adult onset” until it started ravaging kids. Type 2 is brought about by a combination of factors, including overeating, American-style.

The idea that Alzheimer’s might be Type 3 diabetes has been around since 2005, but the connection between poor diet and Alzheimer’s is becoming more convincing, as summarized in a cover story in New Scientist entitled “Food for Thought: What You Eat May Be Killing Your Brain.” (The graphic — a chocolate brain with a huge piece missing — is creepy. But for the record: chocolate is not the enemy.)

In short, it appears, you develop Alzheimer’s.

A neuropathologist named Alois Alzheimer noticed, over a century ago, that an odd form of protein was taking the place of normal brain cells. How those beta amyloid plaques (as they’re called) get there has been a mystery. What’s becoming clear, however, is that a lack of insulin — or insulin resistance — not only impairs cognition but seems to be implicated in the formation of those plaques.

Suzanne de la Monte, a neuropathologist at Brown University, has been working on these phenomena in humans and rats. When she blocked the path of insulin to rats’ brains, their neurons deteriorated, they became physically disoriented and their brains showed all the signs of Alzheimer’s. The fact that Alzheimer’s can be associated with low levels of insulin in the brain is the reason why increasing numbers of researchers have taken to calling it Type 3 diabetes, or diabetes of the brain.[2]

The link between diet and dementia negates our notion of Alzheimer’s as a condition that befalls us by chance. Adopting a sane diet, a diet contrary to the standard American diet (which I like to refer to as SAD), would appear to give you a far better shot at avoiding diabetes in all of its forms, along with its dreaded complications. There are, as usual, arguments to be made for enlisting government help in that struggle, but for now, put down that soda! /QUOTE]

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Interesting!

I thought so too! My grandmother had either suffered from an untreated stroke, or had dementia, so these types of studies and correlations are very interesting to me.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Another discussion on the topic a couple of days ago;
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66756.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, missed it. Thanks for the link!