Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I knew pigs were omnivores, but c'mon, really?? seriously..?? page

Betorq is offline Senior Member

I knew pigs were omnivores, but c'mon, really?? seriously..??

Primal Fuel
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/02/terry-vance-garner-eaten-by-own-hogs_n_1931888.html

Terry Vance Garner Eaten By His Own Hogs At Oregon Farm
    10/02/12 12:14 AM ET EDT

COQUILLE, Ore. -- Oregon authorities are investigating how a farmer was eaten by his hogs.

Terry Vance Garner, 69, never returned after he set out to feed his animals last Wednesday on his farm near the Oregon coast, the Coos County district attorney said Monday.

A family member found Garner's dentures and pieces of his body in the hog enclosure several hours later, but most of his remains had been consumed, District Attorney Paul Frasier said. Several of the hogs weighed 700 pounds or more.

It's possible Garner had a medical emergency, such as a heart attack, or was knocked over by the animals, then killed and eaten, Frasier said, adding that at least one hog had previously bitten Garner.

The possibility of foul play is being investigated as well.

"For all we know, it was a horrific accident, but it's so doggone weird that we have to look at all possibilities," Frasier told The Register-Guard.

A pathologist was unable to identify a cause or manner of death, the newspaper reported. The remains will be examined by a forensic anthropologist at the University of Oregon.

Terry Garner was "a good-hearted guy" who cared for several huge adult sows and a boar named Teddy, said his brother, Michael Garner, 75, of Myrtle Point. Piglets were typically sold to local 4-H kids.

"Those animals were his life," Michael Garner said. "He had all kinds of birds, and turkeys that ran all over the place. Everybody knew him."

Michael Garner said one of the large sows bit his brother last year when he accidentally stepped on a piglet.

"He said he was going to kill it, but when I asked him about it later, he said he had changed his mind," the brother said.

Domestic hogs are not typically known to be as aggressive as their feral cousins, but "there is some degree of danger associated with any animal," John Killefer, who heads the Animal and Rangeland Sciences Department at Oregon State University in Corvallis, told the newspaper.

While pigs "are more omnivorous than other farm animals, (such as) cows," Killefer called the case highly unusual.

Most hogs are raised until they reach a market weight of between 250 and 300 pounds, while breeding female pigs rarely weigh more than 400 pounds, Killefer said.
    Last edited by Betorq; 10-02-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I have seen this as a way of "disposing of the body" on several serial killer shows and/or movies. Creepy...
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    My mom always told of how the younger kids were always warned away from the hogs with tales of hogs eating people when she was a small child on a farm. Having raised pigs, only until they were about 6 month old, I have seen the enthusiasm with which they greeted any meat items we gave them. I have been around wild boars enough to be afraid of the big ones. Yeah, they could be guilty.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I know of an instance where a man was eaten by a very large, very dangerous boar. It was pretty sad/scary.

Pigs are dangerous, especially wild ones.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Wasn't this in Snatch?
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I see your "hog eats man" story and raise you my "crazy old school farmer castrates his piglets with his teeth, then plays fetch with his dog until the dog eats so many testicles that he throws up." (true story courtesy of a friend whose father is a large animal vet)

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    I see your "hog eats man" story and raise you my "crazy old school farmer castrates his piglets with his teeth, then plays fetch with his dog until the dog eats so many testicles that he throws up." (true story courtesy of a friend whose father is a large animal vet)
    Wow... uh, yeah. Just wow.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Well... what a waste.

Those piglet fries are really tasty.

I used to participate in castrating all the piglets every year...
    Then got a little older and brother and I did it just the two of us.
    Not with our teeth of course.

But seriously.
    Tossing the fries to the dog... c'mon man!

Oh, and yeah... pigs will totally eat meat.
    Wild pigs here in FL will clean up road kill, including roadkill deer if it's off the road.
    I'm suspicious of this story not having more to it however.
    Well fed pigs won't normally tear into their owner in such short order... just like they won't tear into a member of their own heard soon after death.
    Even young dead piglets were often found uneaten on our farm the day after death if they were crushed in a pileup.

Most of the time they won't tear in until there is smell and flystrike...
    Now if his bowles released upon death, all bets were off.

(Chickens wouldn't peck much until softness and flies/maggots/bugs had set in.)
    Last edited by cori93437; 10-02-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    this is why you dont find bodies in the bush very often where there are wild pigs. the pigs dont care that we are people, just as much as we dont care that they are pigs and eat them. a flock of chickens could prob do a fair amount of damage too but they may leave more evidence.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    saw it in Deadwood haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast