Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I knew pigs were omnivores, but c'mon, really?? seriously..?? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    3,850 people in Coquille, OR and one of them just got eaten by a pig.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Well... what a waste.

Those piglet fries are really tasty.

I used to participate in castrating all the piglets every year...
    Then got a little older and brother and I did it just the two of us.
    Not with our teeth of course.

But seriously.
    Tossing the fries to the dog... c'mon man!

Oh, and yeah... pigs will totally eat meat.
    Wild pigs here in FL will clean up road kill, including roadkill deer if it's off the road.
    I'm suspicious of this story not having more to it however.
    Well fed pigs won't normally tear into their owner in such short order... just like they won't tear into a member of their own heard soon after death.
    Even young dead piglets were often found uneaten on our farm the day after death if they were crushed in a pileup.

Most of the time they won't tear in until there is smell and flystrike...
    Now if his bowels released upon death, all bets were off.

(Chickens wouldn't peck much until softness and flies/maggots/bugs had set in.)
    MOST people actually shit their pants when they die. And piss themselves as well. Death ain't pretty....
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    He is one with his herd now.

Pass the bacon.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    For your listening pleasure. Old bluegrass song "Daddy went to sleep and the hogs ate him"

The Stanley Brothers - he went to sleep and the hogs ate ( eat ) him - YouTube

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Remember the scene in 'The Wizard of Oz' where Dorothy falls into the pig pen and has to be rescued?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    The possibility of foul play is being investigated as well.

"He had all kinds of birds, and turkeys that ran all over the place. Everybody knew him."
    Hmm. Perhaps fowl play.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I'm really not making light of this--this is a really sad story and sucks--but....I'm seriously curious: will those pigs now ever get slaughtered and eaten? Are there rules about eating something that's eaten a person?

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Anyone read The Jungle? I always remember the scene where a sick pig is easy pickens for the others pigs crammed into a boxcar.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    MOST people actually shit their pants when they die. And piss themselves as well. Death ain't pretty....
    As a person married to a cop, and friends with fire, nurses, EMT, and CSI weirdos (one of my good friends is the county's entomologist, yep 'the bug girl' ) ...

Bladder release is almost 100%... bowels is hit and miss. It happens but much less frequently than bladder release.
    Basically if you have evacuated recently, you don't because there is nothing low in the colon.
    Strangely, vomiting also happens some of the time... just a small amount.

But I'd say if the pigs ate him immediately it's pretty certain he did evacuate and that's what got their attention, plus the fact that he was likely carrying food, and they were already expecting to be fed.
    If he had a heart attack and fell he may have even spilled the food onto himself. Bad news.

From the article it sounded like he was keeping some terribly LARGE sows. More bad news. Sows like that can be VERY aggressive. I nearly had my card punched by smaller sows many times while catching piglets for marking up after farrowing.

In farming we always rotated sows... they could stay a couple of seasons but after that they were too big to be manageable and needed to be fed more for the same production numbers, and we kept replacement gilts and butchered them. By then they were lardy enough for hams and rendering and such anyway... no need to let them go until they are dangerously big like that and just keep them.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm really not making light of this--this is a really sad story and sucks--but....I'm seriously curious: will those pigs now ever get slaughtered and eaten? Are there rules about eating something that's eaten a person?
    i guess it would depend on how hysterical everyone gets. and also on who officially owns the pigs now. if it is the entire pig farm stock, or even just the breeding sows, it is rather alot of $s to loose. i would expect they will be keeping them confined to see what comes out the other end for forensic purposes. then they may just destroy them all or say it was an accident and get on with business as usual.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast