Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass fed beef in Australia - Impossibru? page

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member

Grass fed beef in Australia - Impossibru?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so this subject is based on a friend of a friend convo, but it made me curious.

My mate (who I have recently converted) went to her cousins farm and was given some meat. She asked her cousin about getting grass fed meat. Her cousin told her you will never find completely grass fed meat in Australia, as there is never enough pasture over summer and that the animals are supplemented with oats and hay in this time.

Now, considering my meat has a 'grass-fed' sticker on it, I'm a little bummed out. I'm assuming the 'grass-fed' labelling in Oz has little regulation, if the above is true.

Anyone have any insight on this?
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    1) Hay is grass. It's just not fresh grass. But it's perfectly good cattle food.

2) Oats are much better than corn and soybeans.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it much. They're still getting pasture a lot of the year.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Yeahm I knew that the hay is kosher, but wasn't sure of the affect of oats.

This cousin did also mention that they give their cattle to a feedlot for the last 6 months though

I don't worry too much for myself, only for my BF who loves the fat on his meat.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I heard the opposite. One farmer I was speaking to said they can't afford to feed their cows grains and oats even if they wanted, I think a lot of butchers and supermarkets would prefer it to be grain finished because they can keep a better consistency year round. It probably depends where you live though. In the Hunter valley there's literally thousands of kilometers of grass paddocks all the way up the coast.
    Perth might be a little different I'm guessing.

BigJilm is offline Senior Member
    Mitchell Grass Meats - FAQ's

^Hope this helps (if any)
    I'll be back

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    The GF meat producers I buy from at my local farmer's markets guarantee their product is free range and grassfed, because they know that's what sets them apart from the rest of the herd (hah! see what I done dere?). Producing a better O3 ratio product is what attracts their regular paleo customers. They're not gonna mess with that. Their animals don't grow as fast or as fat as grain-fed cattle, but you wouldn't bother supplement feeding when there's sufficient natural pasture in Gippsland and the Yarra Valley (although they admit it can be challenging to stick to only green feeding in dryer summers).
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

I think being in WA makes things a bit harder. Frinstance, I can get cheaper organic eggs from Queensland than I can from a WA producer. The quandary - buy local or buy organic.
    The movement is picking up here though, fortunately I have a decent local butcher (always crammed when I'm in there), although there is only one brand of organic chickens (but I think they are still fed grains.) at $30 a chicken though, its not something I can really go for. How does that compare to the east?

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Lilydale chickens are about $11 cooked. If you want good nutritious and tasty meat then go for kangaroo meat.

meat egg fruit n veg is offline Junior Member
    I heard it was "grass fed, grain finished". The farm I grew up in was all grass fed.

Another one I heard from a butcher was that it depended on if its drought or not. (eg if its drought, there's no food, so they'll give them grain)

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    I think being in WA makes things a bit harder. Frinstance, I can get cheaper organic eggs from Queensland than I can from a WA producer. The quandary - buy local or buy organic.
    The movement is picking up here though, fortunately I have a decent local butcher (always crammed when I'm in there), although there is only one brand of organic chickens (but I think they are still fed grains.) at $30 a chicken though, its not something I can really go for. How does that compare to the east?
    Whaaaaaaaaat? *faints*
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast