Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I only get injured when attemptin to better myself. page

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

I only get injured when attemptin to better myself.

Shop Now
    This thread could easily be called middle aged miseries.

OK I'm pissed. I can lift a lot of weight. I'm really strong at my size and age of 34. Seriously I've benched twice my weight (160 and 325). I use to do a rediculoud amount for shoulder press also. I use to focus on squats and such for a while then neglected them then a year or two ago got back into em.

Got back into em and was getting a bit heavy .....till two weeks ago got a hernia. Hurt like hell, but I went through the next workout a week later anyhow cause I'm an asshole. Hell this was in HIT style 1x/week stuff. I'm still pissed. I've been steadily increasing my work each weak. I'm just venting. It's actually a small hernia but the fucker hurts. I'm in the health care field so I know some stuff. I'll probably send myself for a CT to delay the inevitable confirmation (and radiation).

Any post surgical folks around? I like the idea of watch and wait. Seems there was a trial done with 700 plus males that indicated that as long as it didn't impede on your lifestyle there was no need to get the surgery unless it got bigger and more painful. I plan to continue exercising ( done it my whole life anyhow) . Its a contest between getting it done now or later I suppose. Its a "direct hernia" that I can feel cause I actually know how to find it on myself in position and with pressure. If I were to go to a GP he would likely not ever find it. CT will confirm though. Still venting, but general advice still welcome.

As to thread title I also ruptured my pec tendon about 3 years ago doing heavy bench. I don't get injured when not working out apparently. This seems to be quite anti-intuitive to my current goals of remaining strong and active into later life.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Damn bro, I had a small hernia as well when I was 19 y/o. They recommended not doing surgery, sometimes I wish I had got it though. It nagged me for about 8 years afterward.

I hate to say it but, maybe easy off the heavy weights?
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Damn bro, I had a small hernia as well when I was 19 y/o. They recommended not doing surgery, sometimes I wish I had got it though. It nagged me for about 8 years afterward.

I hate to say it but, maybe easy off the heavy weights?
    You still lifting and not had the surgery? I'm thinking bout trying to wait out the inflammation and pain to see if I can go on without myself.

As to the easing off...not easy when you've made it your lifestyle. Hard for me to do anything at less than 100% ya know? But at my age and obvious non-olympic status may not be a bad idea to back of the heavy and increase the reps.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    You need to seek the council of the lifting gods my son. Ask Rip on the SS forums what he thinks. I'm sure he has seen his fair share of this stuff. I do remember reading a similar post on SS and Rip just saying to train through it if you can. I don't recall the specifics though.

That sucks though dude. Being older and more injury prone, I can relate to the frustration. I can stand shit that impedes progress with lifting.

34 ain't middle aged either Get well.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    You still lifting and not had the surgery? I'm thinking bout trying to wait out the inflammation and pain to see if I can go on without myself.

As to the easing off...not easy when you've made it your lifestyle. Hard for me to do anything at less than 100% ya know? But at my age and obvious non-olympic status may not be a bad idea to back of the heavy and increase the reps.
    Actually I didn't lift when I was younger (was a swimmer). But no problems now, except the very rare very minor pain just to remind me. I also don't lift near as much as you do though...give it a few more years.

My buddy got an inguinal hernia, got the surgery the next month, and was back to lifting (light) and working out the next month.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    My dad got a hernia, and put it off for years and years, and finally had to pay the piper in big way.

He thought it was fine, that it would still be a simple surgery when it really started to give him problems.
    (He is an extremely fit man of 60+ mind you... he can do dips, and pull ups, and runs stairs all day long and makes most young men look like fools. His six pack even shows a bit (not something he has ever tried for)... and he still has a very considerable upper body (former gymnast)... and works a physically and mentally demanding job)
    However, the scar tissue that eventually formed a plug in the tear had sent out these weird tendrils all through his abdominal cavity and down into his groin to stabilize it.
    It pretty much turned into a major surgery that took several hours and he was black and blue from his thighs to his armpits.

Getting a hernia fixed is a pretty simple thing when it's fresh.
    The heal time is short, it's a small little incision... no big deal.
    Letting it do it's own thing for years... you never know what your body will come up with in there to hold everything in place!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    i feel your pain my friend. i'm 33 and just about 170lbs. never had a hernia, but had planty of strains, tendonitis, and creaky joints. nowadays, i tend to stick to the 5-8 rep range for all of my heavy work. which means i don't pull in the 4's anymore, squat in the 3's, etc.. but i also don't destroy my knees, shoudlers and back. while i'm not at the peak of what my strength once was, i'm ok with that. i'm still stronger than most, i look good, and i'm healthy and able to work out consistently. its a sacrifice i was willing to make. i can't brag about my moster deadlift, but i can get out of bed in the morning without being in pain

Most of my injuries in recent years have also either come via heavy lifting - or via something stupid (bent wrong to pick up x) after very heavy lifting had weakened the area.

Of course, I look back on 34 as prime youth!

Anyway...

I have a good friend who is a kettle bell and martial arts guy. He got a bad hernia, and it kept him from doing anything related to bells or much martial arts for about a year until surgery. Then it was about another year after that before he was really able to go full bore again (he had other issues related to the hernia, possibly an additional abdominal one - never really clear on that).

Now, over two years after the initial hernia, he is back to doing fairly intense workouts.

In terms of your situation, though, trying to lift around it sounds like a bad idea - especially if you like to go heavy. You will likely nag at the edges of it, and make it worse, and then you'll need something major and be out for a huge amount of time.

Missing 6 months now is probably better than missing two years later!

Either way it sucks, not doubt about it. What will also suck is the thought of how strong you could have been, had you not had the injury, which will likely plague you all during recovery. But what would probably suck more is the major surgery that sidelines you for a really long time, and maybe impedes your ability to ever do serious lifting again, which might be made more likely be being stubborn now!

Thanks for reading my rant and offering some good advise everyone. Appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast