Thread: Primal may be a cure for Alzheimer's Disease page

Dirlot is offline Senior Member

Primal may be a cure for Alzheimer's Disease

Shop Now
    So I was in the library, and saw this book Alzheimer's Disease: What If There Was A Cure? took a look at the back. Dr. Mary T. Newport gave her husband 2 tbs of cocount oil and he is showing sighns of recovery. It seems she has found find new research showing that medium- chain fatty acids, which act like an alternative fuel in the insulin-deficient Alzheimer's brain, can sometimes reverse or at least stabilize the disease. Seems Primal has lots of benifits.

Though Dr. Mary T. Newport has provided professional care to newborns since 1983, she's led a double life since 2000 when she became a caregiver at home. That's when her beloved husband, Steve, first showed signs of Alzheimer's disease. After his deterioration accelerated in 2004, Dr. Newport began avidly researching ways to keep him functional for as long as possible. Since she understands medical terminology and scientific methods, she was thrilled to find new research showing that medium- chain fatty acids, which act like an alternative fuel in the insulin-deficient Alzheimer's brain, can sometimes reverse or at least stabilize the disease. When she gave Steve about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (a source of these fats) at breakfast before a memory test that he had previously failed, Steve miraculously passed the test. Since then, Steve continues to maintain improvement while taking daily doses of coconut oil and MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil with meals.

Dr. Newport's story of Steve's reprieve from Alzheimer's provides hope for caregivers eager to learn about readily available fatty acids in foods that may reverse the ravages of this dreaded disease. Changes in loved ones may take many forms, including improved memory, return of personality, resumption of activities and social interaction, and relief from certain physical symptoms. Because ketone esters, a synthesized form of these powerful fatty acids, work faster and more comprehensively than fatty acids in foods, Dr. Newport has become an ardent advocate for ketone ester research, with FDA approval her final goal.

Caregivers for the more than 5 million people in the United States who suffer from Alzheimer's disease are searching desperately for hope, relief, and a cure. They will find all that in this book that summarizes Dr. Newport's research and Steve's reprieve, the importance of medium-chain fatty acids, and how Alzheimer's patients can make the transition to a healthy diet rich in these vital fats.

http://www.amazon.ca/Alzheimers-Dise.../dp/1591202930
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Rags is offline Junior Member
    I had read of this doctor and her use of coconut oil for her husband several months ago. My father passed away from alzheimers less than two years ago. I was his caregiver for the last 3 years of his life. It was an exhausting period for me taking care of him for all his meals and having a family of my own. When my father was suffering from this, no one told me about coconut oil or it's benefits. Not any of his doctors, nurses, or hospitals. I would have done anything to make his quality of life better for him. I am a little bitter knowing this now.

I remember back in the 80s how his doctor changed his diet to conform with the new SAD rules. Up to that point he ate eggs every day with either sausage or bacon. I even saw the paper he brought home stating no more than 2 or 3 eggs per week. He cut fat out of his diet. I cannot help but wonder if this change contributed to his eventual decline.

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Before I went primal, one of the small things that was bothering me, was how often I couldn't seem to find the right word for something. The wrong word would slip out, or I would have to wait and think before I could seize on it.

This has disappeared, except when I am off primal for a few weeks(yes, still struggling occasionally).

I DO think that some of Alzheimer's is diet-related, and I am hopeful that if I stay primal I will be able to avoid it. My word loss was just a little thing. Everyone laughed, and said, 'oh, senior moment!', and 'not to worry about it.'

But research like this shows maybe I would be right to worry, AND to change my eating.

If a little thing like a few tablespoons of coconut oil can do so much, just think what the whole panoply of primal can do!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Before I went primal, one of the small things that was bothering me, was how often I couldn't seem to find the right word for something. The wrong word would slip out, or I would have to wait and think before I could seize on it.

This has disappeared, except when I am off primal for a few weeks(yes, still struggling occasionally).

I DO think that some of Alzheimer's is diet-related, and I am hopeful that if I stay primal I will be able to avoid it. My word loss was just a little thing. Everyone laughed, and said, 'oh, senior moment!', and 'not to worry about it.'

But research like this shows maybe I would be right to worry, AND to change my eating.

If a little thing like a few tablespoons of coconut oil can do so much, just think what the whole panoply of primal can do!
    My mind has gotten much sharper as well.

Davec64 is offline Junior Member
    I read this article recently.
    Is Alzheimer's Type 3 Diabetes? - NYTimes.com

Sounds like primal could prevent Alzhemer's

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Eating coconut oil does not make one primal.
    Last edited by KathyH; 10-03-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Eating coconut oil does not make one primal.
    OMG you are allowed to read the book, do some research or at least read the whole blurb before responding. To be utilizing ketone esters as a fuel source you are looking at a low carb diet which will, as an extension be excluding grains - sounds like it is heading primal to me.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 10-03-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Davec64 View Post
    I read this article recently.
    Is Alzheimer's Type 3 Diabetes? - NYTimes.com

Sounds like primal could prevent Alzhemer's
    Very interesting article. Everyday we seem to find more and more reasons not to eat a high carb sad diet.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 10-03-2012 at 07:06 AM.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!