Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat and Meat and Grass vs. Corn Fed page

shep68 is offline Senior Member

Fat and Meat and Grass vs. Corn Fed

Primal Fuel
    Near as I can tell paleo/primal eating espouses eating lean meats but at the same time fat can be good too. I try to get my fat from olive oil, unsalted butter and a bit from the meat cuts as well. If I'm doing my research correctly when it comes to good animal fat we are referring to grass fed animals correct? Indicating that the fat from corn fed is not as good for you? I buy my beef at a butcher but the grass fed stuff is prohibitively expensive so I purchase the corn finished beef and pork. I'm assuming I'm still better off than consuming all the grains and legumes that used to make up my diet because I am losing weight steadily. And of course I include steady helpings of veg and fruits too. Am I on course here or completely off?

Thoughts? Thanks.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I don't really have access to grass fed beef, nor can I afford it. Yes, it is higher in Omega 3 fats, which is better for you. I also think it tastes better, but I take what I can get. When I have a friend that lives near a whole foods coming into town to visit (and a little extra money) I will have them get me some grass fed beef, among other supplies. When its not an option... well I buy whatever is in the grocery store. I have looked online and made sure the "pink slime" is not in the ground beef I buy though. I also take Omega 3 supplements to help compensate for the lack of in my beef. If it were a viable option for me to buy all organic food, all grass fed beef, make all of my own everything, grow my own garden, etc... then I would do so. At this point in time it is not. Eating primally, or at least as close as you can still puts you in a way better position than most.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Cordain is basically the only paleo lean meat proponent. Fatty meat is where it's at.

If you have to go for grain fed beef, DO go for lean beef, but add lots of good fat to it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a large food budget myself, but I stick with grass fed/pastured meat. This means I have to go for the "lower" cuts of beef, but frankly, that is usually the only way I can get bone with my meat. I've not had any luck finding access to marrow bones as some here have. Braising and slow cooking has become my primary way of cooking and I certainly don't feel deprived with the "lower quality" cuts.

Fatty meats/fish is certainly where it is at - but only grass fed fatty meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    I don't really have access to grass fed beef, nor can I afford it. Yes, it is higher in Omega 3 fats, which is better for you. I also think it tastes better, but I take what I can get. When I have a friend that lives near a whole foods coming into town to visit (and a little extra money) I will have them get me some grass fed beef, among other supplies. When its not an option... well I buy whatever is in the grocery store. I have looked online and made sure the "pink slime" is not in the ground beef I buy though. I also take Omega 3 supplements to help compensate for the lack of in my beef. If it were a viable option for me to buy all organic food, all grass fed beef, make all of my own everything, grow my own garden, etc... then I would do so. At this point in time it is not. Eating primally, or at least as close as you can still puts you in a way better position than most.
    I take a Pharmaceutical Grade fish oil gel cap twice a day...about 1400mg omega 3 per cap. That combined with cooking in olive oil and eating avocados and salmon, and I think I've got my omega 3's pretty well covered.

We do stick to the lean meats mostly and don't really eat much of the fat in our corn finished beef. Grass fed is just too expensive, and I'm feeding a big family. Like I posted somewhere else my experience has been even if you have to eat grain fed beef you're still better off than all the pastas, breads, cheeses and dairy we used to consume. Several coworkers on paleo and their experience is similar to mine. Just wanted to make sure we were still adhering to the basic principles.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shep68 View Post
    I take a Pharmaceutical Grade fish oil gel cap twice a day...about 1400mg omega 3 per cap. That combined with cooking in olive oil and eating avocados and salmon, and I think I've got my omega 3's pretty well covered.

We do stick to the lean meats mostly and don't really eat much of the fat in our corn finished beef. Grass fed is just too expensive, and I'm feeding a big family. Like I posted somewhere else my experience has been even if you have to eat grain fed beef you're still better off than all the pastas, breads, cheeses and dairy we used to consume. Several coworkers on paleo and their experience is similar to mine. Just wanted to make sure we were still adhering to the basic principles.
    What's with all this talk about lean meats? 99.99% of people here will agree with me when I say "the fattier the better". I mean, I do eat chicken often, but it has nothing to do with it being a lean meat. Plus I slather it in lard, coconut oil, or olive oil.

I don't think that you need to eat grass-fed to reap the benefits of eating Paleo/Primal. I compare grass-fed to organic produce, while it's the optimal choice, if you can't afford or acquire them, it's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I don't think that you need to eat grass-fed to reap the benefits of eating Paleo/Primal. I compare grass-fed to organic produce, while it's the optimal choice, if you can't afford or acquire them, it's not the end of the world.
    This was sort of the point of my question. I tend to agree w/ you that even if you aren't eating grass fed beef, you can still enjoy the benefits of the primal lifestyle. Some of the previous responses though seem to indicate that the fat from corn finished beef should be avoided. If I'm reading them correctly that is. I cook w/ olive oil, as mentioned, and that's where I get some of my good fat.

My first introduction to Paleo eating was Dr. Cordain and he definitely espouses lean meats. I know here and other sites don't place as much emphasis on that however. Just making sure I'm on the right track is all. Since I cannot afford large quantities of the grass fed beef, I shy away from the fatty parts of the beef I do buy...not 100% but I try.

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    If you can afford it, I would strongly suggest fish for the omega-3's. Beef isn't the best source for them anyway, even when it's grain fed. Tinned salmon on salad is mm mm good! As for the beef, though, don't sweat it. We do the best we can with what we have.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    From what I've read, the fat in CAFO meat is the worst part so I try to avoid it. On top of that, I'd like to avoid anything being raised on GMO feed as well. I think it's a bit more of a deal than organic vs. conventional.

I would say that 75% of the meat we eat is grass-fed/pastured/free range (we're glad to have fairly local farms to buy from, and not just Whole Paycheck), but we still have those budget crunches where I have to buy conventional. When we do that, it's usually lean--chicken breasts, lean ground beef, etc. and I make sure to use good fats in cooking. One thing that helps our budget is buying in bulk when we can afford it--around here, grass-fed is only $3-4/lb. when you can buy and freeze a half cow, $5-6 when you can get a "family pack", and so-on. My only gripe with bulk buying is getting the occasional cut that I have no clue what to do with, lol. Today's fail was a cut labeled as a "chuck roast" (it technically was) but was more specifically a 7 bone roast, which take a lot more low & slow cooking than your average roast. It's still in the slow cooker now, even though it was intended for dinner tonight, doh. There's also a ham hock--not your usual small, smoked "seasoning for greens or beans" kind of ham hock, but a big hunk of raw pork hock. Still googling recipes for that one, lol. Still, cheap cuts can be turned into mouthwatering, melt-in-your-mouth delicacies. I'd rather have a grass-fed pot roast over a CAFO filet mignon.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    From what I've read, the fat in CAFO meat is the worst part so I try to avoid it. On top of that, I'd like to avoid anything being raised on GMO feed as well. I think it's a bit more of a deal than organic vs. conventional.

I would say that 75% of the meat we eat is grass-fed/pastured/free range (we're glad to have fairly local farms to buy from, and not just Whole Paycheck), but we still have those budget crunches where I have to buy conventional. When we do that, it's usually lean--chicken breasts, lean ground beef, etc. and I make sure to use good fats in cooking. One thing that helps our budget is buying in bulk when we can afford it--around here, grass-fed is only $3-4/lb. when you can buy and freeze a half cow, $5-6 when you can get a "family pack", and so-on. My only gripe with bulk buying is getting the occasional cut that I have no clue what to do with, lol. Today's fail was a cut labeled as a "chuck roast" (it technically was) but was more specifically a 7 bone roast, which take a lot more low & slow cooking than your average roast. It's still in the slow cooker now, even though it was intended for dinner tonight, doh. There's also a ham hock--not your usual small, smoked "seasoning for greens or beans" kind of ham hock, but a big hunk of raw pork hock. Still googling recipes for that one, lol. Still, cheap cuts can be turned into mouthwatering, melt-in-your-mouth delicacies. I'd rather have a grass-fed pot roast over a CAFO filet mignon.
    Haven't actually been to the ranch where our beef is produced, but I have visited w/ our butcher who has seen the operation. It comes from a family ranch down near Pueblo, CO. From what he's said it sounds to me like the cattle are free range until it comes time to finish at which time they are put on corn and probably sorghum. No hormones or anti biotics are used. Not a mass production, commercial facility with thousands of cattle all bunched together in their own filth. This seems to fit most of the operations I've seen around here...smaller family operated affairs. While not totally organic in the sense of always grass-fed, it seems to me like this beef is relatively healthy. We buy a 1/4 cow and 1/2 hog and it works out to around $3/lb, but the grass fed is considerably higher even in bulk. I think we are doing ok w/ our beef purchases all things considered. Sounds like you are doing even better though...good job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast