Thread: Tinea versicolor page

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Tinea versicolor

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

A search on the forums for "tinea" only provides 10 results, so it's not discussed often. So, I just wanted to reach out to any people out there with Tinea (a fungal infection on the skin for those who don't know) and provide some hope. I have had Tinea extensively on my back and sometimes on my chest and torso for around 5 years now. My back is usually very itchy.

The past two weeks or so I have attempted to keep my carbs at or below 50 grams (not always successful but not over 100g) and also coincidentally in those past two weeks have been enjoying two probiotics, kefir and Greek yogurt, a little bit every day.

I was surprised to notice today that my Tinea has almost completely disappeared! My back hasn't itched in weeks, and a large red spot of Tinea on my sternum is 90% gone. In addition, in May I got 2 red flaky patches on my eyelids that suddenly appeared out of nowhere (maybe Tinea? I never figured out what they were but the Tinea on the rest of me didn't flake or become irritated like these did). Well, now those patches are 90% gone as well.

I don't know what caused this sudden almost miraculous relief of my Tinea and eyelid rashes, but I wonder if it's no coincidence that this comes not long after I lowered my carb intake and began taking in probiotics daily. After dealing with these things for a long time, I am just amazed at the sudden change. I can deal with the Tinea honestly, it only hurts your vanity, but the unexplained eyelid patches were embarrassing and painful occasionally. I am immensely relieved to see my skin issues going away out of the clear blue! I am fired up now to keep up with low carb plus probiotics to see if it helps even more!

Hang in there!
    Jenny

Edited to add:

For those curious, I attempt to keep my macronutrient ratios at around 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs.
    Last edited by aix_sponsa; 10-02-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    So glad to hear about your success, Jenny. I've also seen improvement in skin condition (no more problems with eczema) when I keep it more Primal and - particularly - lower carb.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

jaye is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Crazy timing and thanks for posting! My husband has this and we were just talking about him going lower carb for a while to see if it helps. I was worried that if he only tried for a week he might experience a die-off that made symptoms worse and then he would give up. Did that happen with you all? How much time should he give it? 2 weeks? He really loves grapefruit juice and is going to miss it.

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Sigi!

Jaye, I don't think I experienced anything out of the ordinary regarding a die off, I just looked in the mirror the other day and was surprised to barely see my Tinea, it seemed kind of sudden but then again I've had it for so long I never really noticed it anymore. I don't think it could just be waning because the spot on my chest was suntan-dark and now suddenly it's barely noticeable next to my regular skin tone. It doesn't hurt to try low carb through, I just wish I could be more certain of why it's suddenly disappearing so I could be of more help! Like I mentioned before the only two factors I can think of that I've done differently is very low carb and eating probiotics (never had them before). I'm aware that gut flora health has effects on skin health. I think perhaps my gut is becoming healthier and allowing my skin to be healthier and not an environment that the fungus wants to be part of. I'm cutting out even more sugar now to see if I can help things out even more.

Good luck to your husband! Let me know how things go!

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    I think tinea & candida are the same thing.. I've battled the same thing & also found fungus feeds on sugar.. Cutting our sugar & going vlc miraculously cured my tinea/candida as well..

To challenge the experiment I ate quite a bit of sugars in a carb refeed that lasted 2-3 days & guess what.. Tinea came back!!

Sugar & "carbs" feed the fungus in my experience.. I go vlc & most congestions/inflammation/skin irritations immediately clear up.. I am carb sensitive, ha