Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else think rice eaters are just delusional sugar addicts? page 22

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think we've been through this debate before -- wherein if you eat more fruit than an individual thinks is ok, or more veggies, or tubers, or rice. . . then you are a sugar addict. And then, if you assert information about how addiction works, how some people can consume a given substance and not get addicted (giving a clear example like someone who casually drinks alcohol vs someone who is an alcoholic), then you are told that you are just an addict in denial.

Yes, I've been on that one before. It also happens with vegans. I remember back in those days when anyone eating meat or cheese was an addict because these substances have "addictive qualities!' and if only these poor addicts could get off the meat, then they would be ok. . . and it was usually all about some form of dietary/moral superiority.

Second, the issue is confusing here. Are we talking "all carbs = sugar" and therefore there is a right amount of carbs in order to demonstrate that one is not a sugar addict? or are we saying that sweet potatoes and rice are "sugar carbs" and that makes you an addict? Or are we talking about white sugar as an addictive substance? Or all of them. And if you happen to eat the last two and still keep under a certain carb count, does that mean you are ok because you are LC, but not the right, morally superior kind of LC?

Finally, to clarify my own post, I was talking about my husband and myself. Both of us consume 20% daily intake in carbohydrates. We have one piece of fruit or less per day (generally speaking). That fruit might be berries. Dh consumes about 2500 calories per day, which means 125 g of carbs. On workout days, he finds that having a sweet potato or rice -- not just veggies/fruit -- helps his recovery. He still maintains 125g or less on those days.

I tend to eat 1500 calories per day before ovulation and after menses, and 1700 calories per day after ovulation and before menses. This seems to help with the hormonal/mental situation, rather than anything else. Eating this way -- and keeping the same ratios -- keeps me lean, happy, and healthy. I also have no PMS/etc symptoms. I just feel more hungry so I eat more. I eat 20% of my daily intake in carbs -- again, usually veggies or fruit -- and this means I get between 75 and 85 g of carbs per day depending upon where I am in my cycle. In the latter half, I'm likely to have a sweet potato once a week or less, and that's typically when we have our monthly thai meal too (usually the weekend before menses, according to my food diary. isn't that interesting?). So, that's two meals of sweet potato or rice (one of each) per month on average, still keeping me low carb.

Now, when I emotionally eat, I tend to simply eat more of everything. In the phase that I was in from second week of august to third week of september, I was consuming a lot and not moving as much as usual. I had a lot of work to get done, and so I was sitting a lot and moving a lot less. I would work from about 9 am until 8 pm, and then go to bed around 8:30. I ate when I was hungry, which tended to be twice a day under my usual conditions of 16/8 split.

According to my food diary during this time -- being that I was fully aware of my stress-related eating -- I was consuming an average of 1900 calories per day (regardless of where I was in my cycle), following the same 20% from carbs, meaning that I was getting 95g of carbs per day. Some of these days, I was including GF cookies (raw macaroons, avocado chocolate pudding, and a few GF muffins) -- which in my opinion is definitely off primal/paleo (and unhealthy), BUT according to the diary, I was sitll within this caloric intake and under 100g of carbs per day.

This would not indicate that I was "an addict who uses sugar as a crutch during stress."

What it does indicate is that I stress eat (which I already knew -- and I also am an emotional eater), but it doesn't mean that I'm heading out on a sugar (white sugar/wheat/sweets) bender, but rather that simply increasing food all around, and eating more than i'm utilizing. . .which tends to lead to weight gain.

So, there ya go.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    zoebird, i'm pretty sure you freebase store bought hummingbird nectar while twitching on the bathroom floor

you're addicted
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    the name would indicate it. I probably just suck the raw molasses right out of trees, too.

Man, just thinking about that gives me a headache. I've always been sugar sensitive.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Maybe I missed it but hasn't any one asked to see a picture of this Adonis?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    ya'll silly
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    This bitch cray
    Billie trips balls

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Wow.
    This thread is still going?
    Amazing.
    I don't eat rice because I really don't care for it.
    I do eat a sweet potato 4 times a week, (after strength workouts and boxing), but other than that, it's fruits and veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Wild rice cooked in turkey broth with nut bits and cranberries.
    bingo. definitely doing that this year. i'm actually making a turkey this weekend for the hell of it. maybe i'll take this idea for a test drive

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    bingo. definitely doing that this year. i'm actually making a turkey this weekend for the hell of it. maybe i'll take this idea for a test drive
    That's not for the hell of it--it's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend! You can tell people you're just celebrating the strange cultural traditions of your northern neighbours.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Maybe I missed it but hasn't any one asked to see a picture of this Adonis?

Yeah, It occured to me that likely the OP is all talk and doesn't actually have the body to back it up; if he did, he wouldn't be so desperate to brag about it on the internet.

But asking him for a picture would likely mean that he takes an image from someone else, so I don't think that would be much proof of anything besides his computer skills.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast