Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else think rice eaters are just delusional sugar addicts? page 22

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I just started reading this thread, from back to front, and I'm already taking offense.
    doin it wrong, start at page 1
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Seriously guys, getting 100% of your carbs from "non-starchy" (who cares?) veg is barely enough glucose to power your brain.

It shows.
    You've got to be kidding. Not all us low carb people are idiots like the OP, you know.

Hey, this mochi you are talking about, is that the square thing you can get in a health food store? I bought that once, put it in the oven like the instructions said, and out came a puffy yet gooey thing. I tried to eat it but I swear I was really scared I was going to choke on it and die. I must have done it wrong. Seemed like a really good idea. The only thing called mochi I've eaten since then is that mochi ice cream from Trader Joe's. Haven't had that for more than a year. That was one of my favorites.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You've got to be kidding. Not all us low carb people are idiots like the OP, you know.

Hey, this mochi you are talking about, is that the square thing you can get in a health food store? I bought that once, put it in the oven like the instructions said, and out came a puffy yet gooey thing. I tried to eat it but I swear I was really scared I was going to choke on it and die. I must have done it wrong. Seemed like a really good idea. The only thing called mochi I've eaten since then is that mochi ice cream from Trader Joe's. Haven't had that for more than a year. That was one of my favorites.
    It's supposed to be puffy and gooey out of the oven. You can wait for it to cool before eating so that it's not so overwhelmingly gooey. It's basically a really dense, chewy rice-flavored cake. I usually make hawaiian butter mochi with the following ingredients:

1 stick butter
    1.5 cups sugar (or substitute)
    1 can coconut milk
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla
    4 eggs
    8 oz mochiko rice flour

Mix all together (no lumps!) and bake at 350 degrees until top browns, about 40-50 minutes.

I've also made a pumpkin version if you want to check it out:

Pumpkin mochi The Clean Palate

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    That sounds awesome, I would love to try that. Speaking of rice flour, I need to find some good rice flour recipes. I tried some store-bought white rice bread, and it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped.
    I think if you tried to make it at home, it would end up like a dense cake instead of bread. Unless you are cool with flatbread?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think we've been through this debate before -- wherein if you eat more fruit than an individual thinks is ok, or more veggies, or tubers, or rice. . . then you are a sugar addict. And then, if you assert information about how addiction works, how some people can consume a given substance and not get addicted (giving a clear example like someone who casually drinks alcohol vs someone who is an alcoholic), then you are told that you are just an addict in denial.

Yes, I've been on that one before. It also happens with vegans. I remember back in those days when anyone eating meat or cheese was an addict because these substances have "addictive qualities!' and if only these poor addicts could get off the meat, then they would be ok. . . and it was usually all about some form of dietary/moral superiority.

Second, the issue is confusing here. Are we talking "all carbs = sugar" and therefore there is a right amount of carbs in order to demonstrate that one is not a sugar addict? or are we saying that sweet potatoes and rice are "sugar carbs" and that makes you an addict? Or are we talking about white sugar as an addictive substance? Or all of them. And if you happen to eat the last two and still keep under a certain carb count, does that mean you are ok because you are LC, but not the right, morally superior kind of LC?

Finally, to clarify my own post, I was talking about my husband and myself. Both of us consume 20% daily intake in carbohydrates. We have one piece of fruit or less per day (generally speaking). That fruit might be berries. Dh consumes about 2500 calories per day, which means 125 g of carbs. On workout days, he finds that having a sweet potato or rice -- not just veggies/fruit -- helps his recovery. He still maintains 125g or less on those days.

I tend to eat 1500 calories per day before ovulation and after menses, and 1700 calories per day after ovulation and before menses. This seems to help with the hormonal/mental situation, rather than anything else. Eating this way -- and keeping the same ratios -- keeps me lean, happy, and healthy. I also have no PMS/etc symptoms. I just feel more hungry so I eat more. I eat 20% of my daily intake in carbs -- again, usually veggies or fruit -- and this means I get between 75 and 85 g of carbs per day depending upon where I am in my cycle. In the latter half, I'm likely to have a sweet potato once a week or less, and that's typically when we have our monthly thai meal too (usually the weekend before menses, according to my food diary. isn't that interesting?). So, that's two meals of sweet potato or rice (one of each) per month on average, still keeping me low carb.

Now, when I emotionally eat, I tend to simply eat more of everything. In the phase that I was in from second week of august to third week of september, I was consuming a lot and not moving as much as usual. I had a lot of work to get done, and so I was sitting a lot and moving a lot less. I would work from about 9 am until 8 pm, and then go to bed around 8:30. I ate when I was hungry, which tended to be twice a day under my usual conditions of 16/8 split.

According to my food diary during this time -- being that I was fully aware of my stress-related eating -- I was consuming an average of 1900 calories per day (regardless of where I was in my cycle), following the same 20% from carbs, meaning that I was getting 95g of carbs per day. Some of these days, I was including GF cookies (raw macaroons, avocado chocolate pudding, and a few GF muffins) -- which in my opinion is definitely off primal/paleo (and unhealthy), BUT according to the diary, I was sitll within this caloric intake and under 100g of carbs per day.

This would not indicate that I was "an addict who uses sugar as a crutch during stress."

What it does indicate is that I stress eat (which I already knew -- and I also am an emotional eater), but it doesn't mean that I'm heading out on a sugar (white sugar/wheat/sweets) bender, but rather that simply increasing food all around, and eating more than i'm utilizing. . .which tends to lead to weight gain.

So, there ya go.

zoebird, i'm pretty sure you freebase store bought hummingbird nectar while twitching on the bathroom floor

you're addicted
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    the name would indicate it. I probably just suck the raw molasses right out of trees, too.

Man, just thinking about that gives me a headache. I've always been sugar sensitive.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I missed it but hasn't any one asked to see a picture of this Adonis?

ya'll silly
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    This bitch cray
    Billie trips balls

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast