Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else think rice eaters are just delusional sugar addicts? page 12

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    "itís the essential neutrality of rice that makes it what it is."

he also says that you shouldn't beat yourself up over eating some. which means you shouldn't beat people up over eating something that is essentially neautral.

again, just because low carb is working for you now, doesn't mean that it works for everyone and doesn't mean it will work for you a year from now. trust me on that one. i know from experience.
    Oh my bad I didnt realize that you asked that question, lol.

Just because you did low carb wrong doesn't mean it can't work for everyone

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    i love how you make assumptions about what i did and didn't do. i didn't do low carb wrong. in fact i was hardcore low carb for nearly a year until i bonked. when you work out with bigboy weights, do lots of mountain biking, hiking, play sports, box, kayak, run sprints, etc, you need some extra carbs in your diet. i'm sure that if i came in here 50lbs overweight, and was sedentary, then low carb would be perfect for me. or if i wasn't that active. it worked for a while, and then it didn't.

i love how you make assumptions about what i did and didn't do. i didn't do low carb wrong. in fact i was hardcore low carb for nearly a year until i bonked. when you work out with bigboy weights, do lots of mountain biking, hiking, play sports, box, kayak, run sprints, etc, you need some extra carbs in your diet. i'm sure that if i came in here 50lbs overweight, and was sedentary, then low carb would be perfect for me. or if i wasn't that active. it worked for a while, and then it didn't.
    Yep you did it wrong. You need to rest and give yourself a chance to adapt.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Okay. I had to dig to the back of a bottom cabinet to find it but I have here a bag of generic white rice.

serving size: 1/4 cup uncooked (makes ~ 3/4 cup cooked)
    calories: 150
    Fat: 0 grams
    Protein: 3 grams
    Carbs: 35 grams

Going by Mark's Carb Curve:

0-50 gms carb: probable ketosis. It fits if you keep it to one serving as described above.

If you double the serving size (so 70 grams of carbs), it fits into the next part of the curve. 50-100 gms of carb that is described as the "weight loss sweet spot."

So as far as carb amounts, white rice fits into the parameters for weight loss - if you very much watch the rest of your carb intake for the day.

It's not nutritionally great, so for people who have to eat calorically low, it's kind of a waste of calories when 150-300 calories of brightly colored veggies and certainly 150-300 calories of healthily raised meat or wild fish would nourish you more.

No matter the rationale, it's a grain.

So, in response to the original question... There are a lot of people here who know a ton about nutrition. There are a lot of people here who blindly follow the health guru of the month. There are a lot of people somewhere on that continuum. So, I guess some are and some aren't.

As for abrasive know it alls, this was addressed in a management class I took. They can often be fonts of info. Just sift through the bullshit and ego.

Quote Originally Posted by mostofthetime7 View Post
    Yep you did it wrong. You need to rest and give yourself a chance to adapt.
    i didn't do anything wrong. i lead an active lifestyle. that's who i am. i ate low carb paleo for about a year. i went through the whole low carb flu. lasted about 3 weeks for me. i did adapt. i was on top of the world. felt great. then i bonked. eating low carb, despite eating roughly 3500 calories a day, wasn't supporting my energy needs. i'm not going to stop doing the things i love to do, just because part of the paleo crows thinks that low-carb is the way to live. so i added in sweet potatoes, potatoes, white rice, and little more fruit. and i've been going strong for well over a year now. i don't eat high carb every day, only on days that are super high intensity. and it works for me. and countless others in the paleo community who aren't here for weight loss. white rice 2-3 times per week truly isn't the end of the world. i'm sorry you think it is

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Okay. I had to dig to the back of a bottom cabinet to find it but I have here a bag of generic white rice.

serving size: 1/4 cup uncooked (makes ~ 3/4 cup cooked)
    calories: 150
    Fat: 0 grams
    Protein: 3 grams
    Carbs: 35 grams

Going by Mark's Carb Curve:

0-50 gms carb: probable ketosis. It fits if you keep it to one serving as described above.

If you double the serving size (so 70 grams of carbs), it fits into the next part of the curve. 50-100 gms of carb that is described as the "weight loss sweet spot."

So as far as carb amounts, white rice fits into the parameters for weight loss - if you very much watch the rest of your carb intake for the day.

It's not nutritionally great, so for people who have to eat calorically low, it's kind of a waste of calories when 150-300 calories of brightly colored veggies and certainly 150-300 calories of healthily raised meat or wild fish would nourish you more.

No matter the rationale, it's a grain.

So, in response to the original question... There are a lot of people here who know a ton about nutrition. There are a lot of people here who blindly follow the health guru of the month. There are a lot of people somewhere on that continuum. So, I guess some are and some aren't.

As for abrasive know it alls, this was addressed in a management class I took. They can often be fonts of info. Just sift through the bullshit and ego.
    Why would you use up your carbs on something like white rice when you could be eating veggies and fruit with more nutrients?

if you are following mark's book, then "use up your carbs" pertains to someone who is here for weightloss. lots of us here aren't on this forum for that purpose. for some reason, people just don't understand that paleo/primal is NOT a low carb diet

i didn't do anything wrong. i lead an active lifestyle. that's who i am. i ate low carb paleo for about a year. i went through the whole low carb flu. lasted about 3 weeks for me. i did adapt. i was on top of the world. felt great. then i bonked. eating low carb, despite eating roughly 3500 calories a day, wasn't supporting my energy needs. i'm not going to stop doing the things i love to do, just because part of the paleo crows thinks that low-carb is the way to live. so i added in sweet potatoes, potatoes, white rice, and little more fruit. and i've been going strong for well over a year now. i don't eat high carb every day, only on days that are super high intensity. and it works for me. and countless others in the paleo community who aren't here for weight loss. white rice 2-3 times per week truly isn't the end of the world. i'm sorry you think it is
    If your doing so good why are you so defensive?

Like I said, there is multiple stages to low carb flu, you just didn't realize that so you went running back to your carbs.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Why would you use up your carbs on something like white rice when you could be eating veggies and fruit with more nutrients?
    I wouldn't. That's why it was in the back of a bottom cabinet. But that wasn't the question.

If I look back 10 days, I've averaged <35 gms carb/day. No room in there for rice if I want nourishment. I also eat between 750 and 1700 calories per day. Again, I don't have room for the empty eats.

But I think some very smart people here occasionally indulge in rice. I don't think they are delusional.

If your doing so good why are you so defensive?

Like I said, there is multiple stages to low carb flu, you just didn't realize that so you went running back to your carbs.
    not defensive at all

yeah, running back to carbs. a year later. you clearly are in your own little world. good luck to you and your low carb experiment.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast