Thread: Primal fish recipes page

Karma33 is offline Member

Primal fish recipes

Primal Fuel
    I do a lot of fishing, so I always have plenty of fish to eat, but am getting bored of the same recipes. If you guys are looking for a great blackened fish recipe, i think I have stumbled upon it after many trials, most good, but this one by far the best. The trick is to melt the butter, dip fish into butter, then apply blackened seasoning, then put into smoking hot DRY cast iron pan OUTSIDE. I like to serve it topped with garlic butter and a slice of lime. I used to use oil on the fish or put oil in the pan for blackening , but this method is far superior. It has better flavor and gives the fish better texture.

Now I am looking for ideas for primal fried fish. I have used almond flour and cooked in butter, but it came out too rich. Do you think I can grind almond flour thinner so it does not overpower the flavor. Or maybe you guys have another idea of another product that would help provide a crust like fried fish? I really dont like the flavor of coconut, so that is out for me, unless my tastes change.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    when you say
    put into smoking hot DRY cast iron pan OUTSIDE
    do you mean outdoors? i still just enjoy fresh fish fried in butter with a bit of herb salt or a few herbs or maybe a bit of lemon so i havent tried crusting any yet. baking in a salt crust is something i would like to try.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Last time I bought catfish (they were small), I put some black pepper, cayenne pepper, and curry powder into a ziploc bag and shook the fish in it to coat. I "painted" oil on a frying pan, got it hot. Put the fish in for a couple of minutes on each side. Had a little fresh lemon on the side, but the fish was so good as is, I never used it. Only problem was that it was so spicy, I was jonesin' for a cold beer. Had cold lemon water instead.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    We do blackened fish regularly...amazing!

Also---grind up pecans...place in a shallow bowl
    Thin out 6+ Tblsps of honey mustard with some milk (I thin with coconut milk).

Dip fish in honey mustard mix then coat with ground pecans---bake at 400 degrees until done (depends on thickness...but roughly 20 min). This is superb!

MistressM is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma33 View Post
    I do a lot of fishing, so I always have plenty of fish to eat, but am getting bored of the same recipes. If you guys are looking for a great blackened fish recipe, i think I have stumbled upon it after many trials, most good, but this one by far the best. The trick is to melt the butter, dip fish into butter, then apply blackened seasoning, then put into smoking hot DRY cast iron pan OUTSIDE. I like to serve it topped with garlic butter and a slice of lime. I used to use oil on the fish or put oil in the pan for blackening , but this method is far superior. It has better flavor and gives the fish better texture.

Now I am looking for ideas for primal fried fish. I have used almond flour and cooked in butter, but it came out too rich. Do you think I can grind almond flour thinner so it does not overpower the flavor. Or maybe you guys have another idea of another product that would help provide a crust like fried fish? I really dont like the flavor of coconut, so that is out for me, unless my tastes change.
    Marinade it in a bit of yogurt with spices and you will break some of the bonds to make it really tender-

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    when you say do you mean outdoors? i still just enjoy fresh fish fried in butter with a bit of herb salt or a few herbs or maybe a bit of lemon so i havent tried crusting any yet. baking in a salt crust is something i would like to try.
    Yes, definitely blacken the fish outdoors because it will produce a ton of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    We do blackened fish regularly...amazing!

Also---grind up pecans...place in a shallow bowl
    Thin out 6+ Tblsps of honey mustard with some milk (I thin with coconut milk).

Dip fish in honey mustard mix then coat with ground pecans---bake at 400 degrees until done (depends on thickness...but roughly 20 min). This is superb!
    I like the pecan idea!