Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain fog, general fatigue - What's my problem? page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down Brain fog, general fatigue - What's my problem?

Hey guys,

I've had brain fog for a good 5 years now or so (currently 17, Male) and was wondering if anyone could help me narrow down the possible reasons as to why I have it. It's interfered with my life for far too long!

These are the causes that I believe may be possibly involved:

. Tap water - London tap water is meant to be completely safe, but knowing that there's different types of metals and such inside doesn't really help my confidence. This is all I drink by the way, no soft drinks or tea, coffee etc.

. Hypothyroidism - I can't tell if I have this without seeing my GP to check, but I'm pretty sure my parents will be against this and just say that "you worry too much!".

. Food allergies - I'm completely avoiding gluten, dairy and grains in general. I've had no official diagnosis of any allergies, but I'd rather be safe than sorry seeing as I already suspect myself of being somewhat gluten intolerant.

. Adrenal burnout - I don't believe that I'm stressed; I get a solid 9-10 hours of sleep every night without fail, with little to no interruptions. That's not to say that I don't wake up feeling pretty weak and groggy, though. I give myself time to relax, but I can't enjoy the activities that I like doing because of my fatigue and mental fogginess.

. Nutrient deficiencies (see below)

I've been eating well for the past few weeks with non-processed meats and vegetables; no fruits and very little carbs overall. There is absolutely no junk, grains or starchy vegetables. I've been eating primal for at least 2 months now, with more strictness in the past 2-3 weeks to avoid gluten completely.

According to FitDay I'm lacking in various nutrients though:

Magnesium
    Phosphorus
    Potassium
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin B12
    Vitamin E
    Calcium
    Thiamin

I'm currently supplementing with a multivitamin per day, one capsule of cod liver oil and a tablet supplement of Zinc.

. I get sunlight daily whenever possible (London weather is purely random)
    . I exercise regularly (following Mark's general guidelines by doing plenty of walking, calisthenics 3 times a week and sprinting whenever I feel the urge, or running for a bus).
    . I get plenty of sleep, and although the quality may be improved, I find that my sleep is perfectly fine for now.
    . I do my best to keep an optimistic attitude, yet it'll take more than that to push through the fog.

Does being a teenager have anything to do with this? I seriously doubt it, but I'd prefer to ask to make sure.

Physically I also feel very heavy, if that's a symptom anyone might need to know.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by KG; 04-06-2010 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Added gender

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    It could be a combination of things. For me, it was gluten. If you have celiac or are gluten intolerant, you might have malabsorption issues. It takes to for your body to heal.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Okay, thyroid issues could be a factor. And since the thyroid regulates so very hormones in your body getting your levels tested is important if you're suffering from other symptoms. Mental and physical fatigues are signs of thyroid disorder. If you're also experiencing brittle nails, thinning hair, dry itchy skin, depression, irritability, puffiness, inexplicable weight gain, always being cold, or severe PMS then it wouldn't be "worrying too much" to get your levels checked. (Doubly so if there's any family history of thyroid issues). You're at the right age (late teens to mid twenties) where thyroid problems can manifest.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Actually, being a teen can have something to do with it. Your brain currently is going through intense deconstruction and re-wiring. This causes the intense need to sleep, dramatic increase in hunger and yes, brain fog. It also causes generally nutty behavior among your kind. The hormones on top of all that lead to some lovely dramatics as I'm sure you've been witness too. I mean you're likely still growing as well, which, if you are not getting adequate nutrition, then it will drain your resources.

Are you eating enough?

I can't tell from your screenname if you are male or female. Anemia is another possibility, especially if you're female. That said though, if you are not getting enough iron, and your body is growing quickly, then you could be anemic, which would make you feel that way.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    The thyroid and adrenals are tied together like no other. If one of the two is struggling or under stress, you can bet the other one is. I'd recommend testing to be safe. On top of that, what hours do you sleep between? Because of circadian rhythm, between 10pm and 6am is key for optimal repair. Most adrenal repair occurs between 11pm and 1am.

You mentioned you have nutrient deficiencies, with many of them being key minerals and vitamins. Get that in order! If you're lucky, it's not an organ issue YET, and getting the nutrients your body needs will get you back to normal!

Being a teenager is not associated with brain fog. That's my own empirical evidence.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Having low B12 can definitely give you brain fog. You might try a methylcobalamin B12 lozenge.

If you're waking up tired after all that sleep, something is probably up w/ your thyroid and/or adrenals. Here is a list of thyroid symptoms:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

You can also do a basal body temp test: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsfor...ourthyroid.htm

If you do feel that a thyroid disorder is a factor, I highly suggest this book that will tell you which tests to get in order to avoid years of misdiagnosis like so many thyroid patients experience. It also outlines exactly what nutrients to take and how to eat (very in-line with Primal, actually):
    http://www.amazon.com/Still-Thyroid-.../dp/1600376703

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    eating a REALLY high fat meal seems to help when i get the fogs.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I just read that exposure to chlorine and other halides (bromide and fluoride, for instance) can affect thyroid by letting them settle into the places where iodine should be.

If the only liquids you're drinking are London tap water, it might be giving you chlorine exposure. If you could get a filter (like a Brita filter pitcher, I don't know if they have them in London) you could get any chlorine out of your water. Seaweed and/or ocean going fish could help restore iodine (if it's low.) It all takes time to work out. If you can't get a water filter, you could fill a glass or pitcher with water and let it sit around for a day for the chlorine to gas out. Then shake it up to get some air back in it.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Bromine, Chlorine, Fluoride all compete with Iodine receptors because they are fellow Hallogens... So reducing exposure to the other 3 should help utilize Iodine. Look up Dr. Brownstein for a little more info...

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by elorajade View Post
    Actually, being a teen can have something to do with it. Your brain currently is going through intense deconstruction and re-wiring. This causes the intense need to sleep, dramatic increase in hunger and yes, brain fog. It also causes generally nutty behavior among your kind. The hormones on top of all that lead to some lovely dramatics as I'm sure you've been witness too. I mean you're likely still growing as well, which, if you are not getting adequate nutrition, then it will drain your resources.

Are you eating enough?

I can't tell from your screenname if you are male or female. Anemia is another possibility, especially if you're female. That said though, if you are not getting enough iron, and your body is growing quickly, then you could be anemic, which would make you feel that way.
    I actually think that I'm eating a little too much. I end up feeling stuffed instead of full if I eat too much at one meal. I only eat twice a day because I never feel hungry otherwise, and I feel comfortable eating this way. I'm also male by the way, and I doubt that I'm anemic, I just need to get an actual blood test done.

Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    The thyroid and adrenals are tied together like no other. If one of the two is struggling or under stress, you can bet the other one is. I'd recommend testing to be safe. On top of that, what hours do you sleep between? Because of circadian rhythm, between 10pm and 6am is key for optimal repair. Most adrenal repair occurs between 11pm and 1am.

You mentioned you have nutrient deficiencies, with many of them being key minerals and vitamins. Get that in order! If you're lucky, it's not an organ issue YET, and getting the nutrients your body needs will get you back to normal!

Being a teenager is not associated with brain fog. That's my own empirical evidence.
    I'm usually in bed by 9:30pm by the latest, although the time it takes to actually fall asleep can vary, but I think I'm usually asleep within half an hour. I tend to wake between 7-8am mostly.

I've only been using FitDay for a few days at most, and whether it's actually a reputable source of knowing if I'm deficient in all those nutrients, I'm not sure. I'm pretty consistent with the foods I eat though, so I suppose that it will be somewhat accurate of the big picture.

As for the teenager - brain fog connection, I'm sure that a couple of years ago I felt clear-headed again for about 3 weeks. As far as I know, there were no major changes in my life that caused it. I just woke up one morning and felt normal again, and I was amazingly happy during that time. I'll have to agree with you, yet I understand what elorajade was saying about the changes teenagers go through. It's very plausible, yet it may not apply to me for now.

Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    Having low B12 can definitely give you brain fog. You might try a methylcobalamin B12 lozenge.

If you're waking up tired after all that sleep, something is probably up w/ your thyroid and/or adrenals. Here is a list of thyroid symptoms:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

You can also do a basal body temp test: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsfor...ourthyroid.htm

If you do feel that a thyroid disorder is a factor, I highly suggest this book that will tell you which tests to get in order to avoid years of misdiagnosis like so many thyroid patients experience. It also outlines exactly what nutrients to take and how to eat (very in-line with Primal, actually):
    http://www.amazon.com/Still-Thyroid-.../dp/1600376703
    These are my main worries:

1. These multiple factors are all connected, and it's a little overwhelming to try and figure out what's causing the biggest problems. I'll try and tackle it all one by one.

2. In reference to your post about "years of misdiagnosis"; what if the tests I take come back all clear, yet I was also misdiagnosed?

I need to stop worrying so much (that's certainly not helping!), but it's hard to when there's a gut feeling that something's amiss.

What I'll do is ask for an appointment with my GP and talk to them. I'll ask about getting a blood test done and a thyroid check.

What should my priorities be? I'm honestly driving myself insane and, heck, I'm becoming a little paranoid from dwelling too much on this issue!

Thanks for the support!
    Last edited by KG; 04-06-2010 at 03:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast