Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80/20 & staying gluten free even when cheating. page

Colibri is offline Junior Member

80/20 & staying gluten free even when cheating.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm thinking of my 80/20 rule and am pretty great sticking to it. Every once and a while though, I will let my hair down (I realised to myself the other day that there's no such thing as the paleo police, a pretty big revelation for me).

The thing is, I want to remain gluten free. The slightest bit of gluten and I feel.. off. I will eat anything else for my 20, except for the aforemented ingredient.

Do you guys have any creative ideas for treats without gluten? I don't mind as long as it has no gluten.

Thanks guys.
    "Strong, healthy, happy and free. Our default state, if we trust and respect nature." - Erwan Le Corre

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Just look for any treats at the store that say "Gluten free". There are some pretty tasty looking things at my store! I tend to use up most of my 20% on lack of sleep, beer, not getting all organic/grass fed, and not sprinting nearly enough. I don't have much room for treats left after that, lol.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    What do you like? Sugary? Salty? It's hard to suggest a treat when everyone's idea of a treat is different. I just munch on chocolate, nuts, coconut, or dried fruits if I want a treat, and they're naturally gluten-free. You can also bake with coconut or rice flour, since they're gluten free
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Thanks guys. Yeah, I would eat anything as a treat. One time it might be tapioca starch, another might be smoothies. Just don't like how gluten works with me (not too well).
    "Strong, healthy, happy and free. Our default state, if we trust and respect nature." - Erwan Le Corre

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    To be honest, the gluten-free crap at the store look no better than packaged foods and ate probably processed so that they taste like cardboard. Rice flour is pretty amazing for baking, you will get a nice bouncy cake, with a little bit more chew than standard wheat flour. I bake with both (my dad and sister do not eat gf) and for the most part, rice flour is a good substitute for anything you can bake. Freshly baked goods are so much superior to the stuff in packaging.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I'd stay away from the store bought processed, gluten free stuff (simply because you're right, it is like cardboard). The rice flour is a good suggestion, thank you

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Gluten tears me up pretty badly (gut issues, rashes, etc.) so I try to make my treats gluten free. Pizza is one of my biggest weaknesses, I find that I'm much better staying on track if I can have a gluten-free pizza every now and then. Sure, there's meatzza and other Primal pizza crust recipes, but they're a lot of work and usually if I'm in the mood for pizza, I'm not in the mood for a lot of work. I'm lucky to have a great local pizzeria with a locally made GF crust (and even local/organic/grass-fed toppings) but Domino's GF pizza isn't half bad either. You can also pick up frozen GF pizzas (or even just crusts) at some grocery stores.

I also keep GF stuff around for my daughter (bread, waffles, mac&cheese) even though our main meals are Primal. She's not gluten intolerant that I can tell, but I still don't like the idea of feeding her gluten. By only having gluten-free treats in the house, if the craving strikes, I have something that's not going to make me ill--it might mess with my blood sugar, but I'm so glad to be off the sugar rollercoaster that I usually don't have a problem with moderation. We've had a pack of gluten-free Oreo style cookies (Glutino) around for over a month, whereas in a past life it would have only lasted a few days at best.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My treats: Fruit, Chocolate, Nuts, Cream

Usually combined in some way.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    The store bought gluten free desserts are DEATHLY. I too am 100% Gluten Free and I decided to give the cupcakes and such from Whole Foods a whirl. It resulted in major toilet time and frankly, they just were not that good. :P Full of chemicalized bullshit.

So, I offer alternatives:

Berries with heavy cream and honey
    Chocolate vodka infused chocolate covered strawberries (a special romantic occasion treat)
    Gluten free HOME baking - I adore this site for it: Gluten-Free : Multiply Delicious- The Food

I made the Banana Spice Coffee Cake and it went over well with my family, even though they are gluten AND refined sugar eaters.

I would recommend adding raisins to it though, I think I will next time. =)

REAL Ice Cream - Hagen Daaz, Talenti Gelato - not for all the time, but every now and then. Make sure you read the ingredients, some have gluten, some do not.

I love this community. It's so different, very friendly and encouraging. One of the better paleo ones!

I love the suggestions too I like the idea of real hagen daaz, etc. but looking to see which has no gluten. Great idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast