Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: after the honeymoon is over page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Every now and then something I try works and I end up surprising myself again at how much more healthy and vital I can feel. So I guess the honeymoon isn't over yet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    I never really had a honeymoon period, since I wasn't eating that terribly to begin with. That said, there's a number of primal tranches you can progress on:

Sleep: How frequently? How long? What's the benefit? Why?

Exercise: How frequently? How long? What's the benefit? Why?

Cold Treatment: How frequently? How long? What's the benefit? Why?

Fasting: How frequently? How long? What's the benefit? Why?

Nutrition: What vitamins and minerals do I need (that I'm not currently getting)? What are the best and most accessible natural sources of them?

IBS: How do gut flora affect me? What gut flora do I need to culture? How do I feel about antibiotics? How can I culture or re-seed healthy bacteria in my intestines? What does gluten do to me? What is gluten sensitivity?

CHD: What is Cholesterol and how does it work? How does my diet affect cholesterol? How does cholesterol affect my risk of heart disease? What are the real risk factors for Heart disease? What are the effects of Fructose? Sugar? O6 oils? Inflammatory foods in general?

Macros: How much is enough carbs? How much is not enough? Is Gluconeogenesis desirable? What's a good fat? What's a bad fat? Why is inflammation bad?

Communication: How can I emphasise and convince people about the differences and benefits to 'mainstream' people without seeming like a whackjob? What's the 'just enough' that they will find compelling and actually act on?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 10-02-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added IBS and CHD sections
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I got PMS followed by period, fell off the wagon by way of PMS fueled sugar cravings, gained back 10 pounds in one week and considered not getting out of bed anymore.

But I am back now and am ready for my new honeymoon cycle.

Hopefully my next lady time is not so bad, but 10 steps forward, 8 steps back, 10 steps forward is better than no steps forward ever!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    At the start I went a year without any junk food at all. Now I eat a bit of junk every few weeks but am overall mostly primal.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm usually fine-tuning. It's something that we enjoy doing. new information is awesome to learn from.

Right now, we're in a whole 30 16/8 IF process. For me, this means not only no chocolate, but also no pork. Butter is ok, as I don't eat much anyway.

And I'm always figuring out fun new movement stuff.

liza is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    you have to do a really hard snort back into your throat so you can cry/cough/cry/sniff/chew/swallow
    And then, spit out.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Three times I have done WW to reach my goal weight and three times I have gone and put the weight back on. Its is the fear of having to do WW again that keeps me primal! Primal keeps my weight stable without having to starve myself and do rediculous amounts of cardio. That is all the motivation I need.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Can I borrow your life, but sub ukulele with piano? Small business and living on the road is exactly what I dream of doing, but $$ will not allow it anytime soon.
    Well we haven't actually accomplished it yet! But we're becoming increasingly certain that we can make it work, and laying plans to make it happen.

Hard to fit a piano in a camper van, but I suppose you could squeeze in an upright...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Still honeymooning. Back in May, I started reading about GMOs, BPAs, soy, veganism, Monsanto/roundup, the govt connection, etc. So even before I found Paleo and Primal, I had tossed out a lot of food in my house - anything canned, anything w/corn (buh bye corn chips), anything with soy. There were three (low calorie) staples in my home I had a hard time getting rid of. When I finally learned to make aioli, was willing to pay for pastured half and half, and bought the first real (pastured) butter I had in years, I realized my commitment to my health was carved in stone. Grains, beans, etc. were pretty easy to get rid of.

Now I like to play with tweaking. I like changing things up. Do something hard for a week, then do something else hard. Staying within the parameters of whole lower carb foods and non-injurious exercise. Different periods of fasting. All animal days, all plant days.

Hopefully by playing like this, the honeymoon will never be over.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    No honeymoon for me, either. More like living together while we get boundary issues sorted out! When I look at magicmerl's list, I now sleep better, have more control of my IBS, have more stable moods, am more spontaneous and laugh more, and I can fast for the first time in my life. I've also lost weight. These are all 'friends with benefits' advantages, but they're not as predictable as marriage.

While I've committed to Primal, he hasn't really committed to me. I get tired of him always getting to decide what will work and what won't. Some days I'm in gut pain, some days I'm not. I can never predict what size my belly will be, and whether I'll be constipated. I am still a size 18. Some days I'm freaking exhausted by it all, and need a nana nap.

The honeymoon will start when I've nailed the bastard down. It's been 19 months so far.

Edited to say sorry for the heternormativity
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast