Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: after the honeymoon is over page 2

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    honeymoon was short and weak. I adhere to gluten free 95% of the time because i know what gluten does to me. other than that, I'm fairly strict primal but have my moments of "whatever." Now I go in fits and starts. Sometimes I feel like leaning out and so i go low-carb paleo and do my bodyweight exercises (on top of walking a mile or two every morning, which is nonnegotiable due to the dog). Then I get bored, slack off, and eat whatever I want (which is still pretty clean by most people's standards).

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Ok, smartassery out of my system, here's the real version.
    I can't say I ever had a true honeymoon period. Maybe briefly, here and there, when my body likes the newest incarnation. It's always been experimentation for me. VLC didn't cut it, ketosis was not my friend, adding iodine and trace minerals helped... the list goes on, but I'm still experimenting, tweaking, and reading. I don't know that I'll ever perfect it, but I mean to get as close as possible.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    I hit my first goal (38 pants) and have reevaluated. Next goal is a strength goal (an unassisted, full pull up). With that said, the excitement hasn't died down. However, I saw a recipe for Baconana Bread that could tempt me for a bite despite the flour
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I never really had a "honeymoon" period. It's still always adapting, still finding new and exciting things. I'm still on the hunt for a cure for my anxiety and depression.
    This. Except for me it's that I'm still looking for a way to eat and exercise that will get and keep me roughly where I want to be without constant counting and obsessing.

So I'm (a little) fat again, but I'm happy, so whatever. I'm focusing on functional fitness and giving my body everything it needs. Also working on reducing negative stress by drastically changing and simplifying our living conditions (quitting 9 to 5 and going nomadic, working on a small business with my wife and living on the road for a while, in pursuit of adventure!), which I think will make a big positive difference.

And playing my ukulele makes me happy, too.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Like others, still adapting, still losing, still trying to get stronger, and my partner and I have decided to learn how to play electric guitars.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    I agree that it's a work in progress... But once the honeymoon was over I did a whole30, then a 2 wk relaxed session, another whole30, added in some dairy when it was over (and some ice cream), lasted two wks, and back to another whole30.

I'm trying to figure out what works best for me in regards to how strict I am. Plus, I like seeing how my body reacts when I try and add back terrible foods. It solidifies how much I love the paleo lifestyle and how it makes me feel!

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member
    I had a good 6-month honeymoon on paleo, where I loved my results. Then, I started to mourn the loss of all the treats my family still enjoyed, so I tried to paleo-ize those goodies, which still led to sugar and carb cravings, which led to binges, which resulted in gaining all the weight back that I had lost....soooo, I'm back to the dating stage after a messy divorce, and I think me and paleo are going to get back together again. SAD will kill me; he's the evil bad boy boyfriend I've got to dump for good.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    This. Except for me it's that I'm still looking for a way to eat and exercise that will get and keep me roughly where I want to be without constant counting and obsessing.

So I'm (a little) fat again, but I'm happy, so whatever. I'm focusing on functional fitness and giving my body everything it needs. Also working on reducing negative stress by drastically changing and simplifying our living conditions (quitting 9 to 5 and going nomadic, working on a small business with my wife and living on the road for a while, in pursuit of adventure!), which I think will make a big positive difference.

And playing my ukulele makes me happy, too.
    Can I borrow your life, but sub ukulele with piano? Small business and living on the road is exactly what I dream of doing, but $$ will not allow it anytime soon.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Oh, I would especially say I never had a honeymoon period because the 15 lbs I lost took me about 6 months, and many of the people around here would have lost that weight in the first month. Then again, that is all I "had" to lose to get to where I am now. It never bothered me that I didn't have overnight success like some people seem to, I'm just happy to have kept the unwanted fat off and gained a move positive body image.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Misti is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not sure whether I never had a "honeymoon" period or whether I'm still (after almost 4 years) still in it. Maybe the key is that although I have lost weight, that was never the point for me. I gradually made my way to "Primal" and I stay primal because when I don't, I feel sick.

My family went grain free when my husband and son were diagnosed with celiac -- SCD was the plan, but we felt so maazing when we dropped the grains that we can't imagine going back, whether we still need "healing" or not. My blood sugar responded almost immediately, and I went off all diabetes medication and insulin after about two years.

Then we went VLC when my husband needed to spend three months treating a systemic fungal infection -- but again, we feel so amazing that while we plan to have minor splurges on Sundays and treat feast days every six weeks a Feast days, with desserts *and* starchy vegetables in the same day, we plan to stay VLC six days per week just to stay feeling as healthy and energetic as we have been these last three months.

(Well, OK, *I* have been feeling amazing - - my honey has been taking "draino pills" (not really, it's a collection of fungicides) to kill off his systemic "pet" and has felt like crap until this week when he gots the benefits of VLC without the medication induced yucks.)

I don't own a scales, and I don't look at the doctor's office, so I am not sure how much weight I have lost nor am I aware if I have "stalls" ... they aren't relevent to me. But I have gone from an old lady who could barely walk because of joint pain and arthritis to someone who can crack out 2.5 miles and be looking to do it again tomorrow! I never thought I'd see the day - -and to me, *that* is relevent.

I feel so good that my next step is PBF - - I'm walking, and now I need to add sprints and LHT.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast