Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Gym or not to Gym page 2

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    diet makes you look good in clothes, gym makes you look good naked.
    Nicely said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    Lol... is this a common policy because my old gym had the same rule. I just started cracking up when I read it on the disclosure page. The guy said something like it made other gym members uncomfortable. I told him that I doubt I would care either way.
    I think it sort of is - although some franchises, like Powerhouse, don't seem to have these policies.

My old gym sort of had one, but we typically ignored it. I did get some rubberized plates for my dead lifts (I use the Pavel no-negative method). But I also used to do sprints with a sled, and the plates used to clang like the subway!

Mostly just staff would gripe about the noise - but not as if they were going to prohibit me. As my wife used to say to people who would complain about noise at the gym: "you know, it's not a library!"

One more thing about Planet F - I find it really funny/ironic that they now sponsor the Biggest Loser. If people did those kinds of workouts at a PF, they would get tossed!

findapersonal is offline Junior Member
    It depend on body. If your body want to relax then you should relax. after that it will make normal.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Hated planet fitness. I go through cycles. In the spring and summer I love working out on trails and a good park. All you need are some heavy rocks, monkey bars, and platforms! Right now I'm in the gym a lot. Switched over to Globo- Gym (la fitness). I love it bc they have everything... I even sneak around and use some of their aerobic rooms for wall balls and drills.

NextSteps is offline Junior Member
    I have the same debate with myself, and am sticking with home workouts for now, to save $ and time. I'm not that strong so the body weight exercises are plenty for me for now. I do the "sprints" on a home rowing machine because I have knee issues and need low impact. But the comments here about diet alone ring true for my house. My 6'3" husband hasn't added any exercise to his schedule, which includes about 40 min of walking a day, but has gone from 275lb to 240lb in 4 months by ditching starches, grains, and sugar.

Swarley is offline Junior Member
    I'd ditch the gym as well. The wife and I used to go to a Washington Sports Club after we got married. After 6 months it just got way too old. I wound up picking up a dumbbell set (5lb. through 50lb), dumbbell rack, and bench for significantly less than a 1 year membership. Nothing quite like coming home after a days work, hitting up the mini basement gym, shower, and make dinner/eat dinner all before 7pm.
    The greater the achievement the more difficult the path. The easy road is granted to those less fortunate as a consolation prize.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Find a good squat rack, which also serves for bench pressing and pullups such as this that I have:

HF-4970 Squat Rack | HOIST Fitness

And a good power station for dips and pullups like this one:

Stamina 1700 Power Tower Dip Knee Raise Pullup Station VKR

This should be all you need to get a good workout at home. We only have one car, so about 1/3 of my garage has this equipment plus a weight plate stand.

The Chris is offline Junior Member
    Home would probably be better if you willing to invest a few hundred dollars for equipment. Equipment = power rack, barbell, weight plates, bench.

RobbyJ is offline Member
    The Gym is great. Nobody nagging you to help with homework, take out the trash, or wash the car. You don't have to stock the toilet paper, wash the towels, or sweep the floors. It's just you, your body, and the equipment. Other than that I really don't see much reason to go to the gym.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Also depends on how self motivated you are! If you tend to use the gym regularly, but put off home workouts, or don't find yourself working out as hard at home, then the gym is a good idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast