Thread: My first (successful) beef bone broth...finally! page

pamola10 is offline Member

My first (successful) beef bone broth...finally!

I read on here and also in Nourishing Traditions about ways to make beef broth. I have been making good chicken broth for years but the beef has eluded me, probably due to early conditioning (hated my mother's beef soup). But I got a marrow bone and some ribs and something else sold for soup, roasted the meaty bones and soaked the marrow bone with a bit of vinegar (I know the jury is out on that one). I boiled all of them together with carrots and onions (skins on, makes the colour lovely) and celery seed, skimmed the foamy junk, then added crushed peppercorns and fresh thyme and cooked for a day and a half. Strained, chilled, skimmed congealed fat (discarded as the beef was not pastured) and have some really terrific broth.

It was easy but took a long time and a lot of space in the kitchen....bones were too big for my crock pot. Anyway, now I have three quarts of lovely broth in the freezer and another good experience in the kitchen.

Thanks for listening! What other bone broth tips can you share?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I just threw uncooked neck bones in the crock pot and only did an overnight on it - is there a huge difference in nutritional yield? it tasted good enough for me and I just drink it - it had an onion and some garlic in it but that's it. I might try longer, bones were grass fed so I didn't think of removing anything (and frankly didn't know it was part of the process)... I want to try with marrow bones too. Is roasting a necessary step?

pamola10 is offline Member
    Probably better minds than mine can answer those questions. The Nourishing Traditions book suggested roasting because it gives a dark brown colour and meaty flavour. The dog LOVES the bits of boiled beef (tasteless to me). The carrots and onions give sweetness (not gross) to the broth, kind of like more depth. From what I read, not much is necessary...but I also have NO idea how to assess the nutritional yields. Supposedly the vinegar in the soaking water helps leach calcium from the bone into the broth.

It is good to know that you can make good broth so simply! Thanks for the reply.

By the way, I have read here and elsewhere about the wonder of marrow, how delicious, etc. Well, I discovered that I Am Not Ready Yet....I tasted it and it tasted good but there was just something about it...the texture, or the fact that it was marrow, or something.....I can see a future where I'll eat it but not this time. The dog benefits again.

I haven't ever had marrow straight up - I hear it's really good after 20-30 mins of roasting, like good enough to just scoop out.

I reckon if the roasting is more about color/flavor then it's not a necessary step but I'll check back to see. I aim to make more this weekend. I liked the boiled bits of beef personally, sprinkle some salt and it was pretty dang good.

Leave it to whole foods to sell grass fed neck bones and marrow bones (separately) for like $4 a pack... but hey

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Is bone broth a great source of calcium?
    well then

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I get bones regularly just for the marrow...
    I'm pretty sure it's the food of the gods... I basically lick the pan!

And when I'm done with that the bones go on to be added to a lovely broth.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I get bones regularly just for the marrow...
    I'm pretty sure it's the food of the gods... I basically lick the pan!

And when I'm done with that the bones go on to be added to a lovely broth.
    do you make it by just roasting?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    do you make it by just roasting?
    Yes... Until they are bubbly... just google for a recipe or instructions. It's super simple.
    Put them on a pan,pop them in the oven... poof... roasted and delicious!
    You can get them cut either long way or short round way.
    Roasted Marrow Bones | Serious Eats : Recipes
    Here you go... simple and sweet.
    No bread necessary of course.

The melted tallow/fat is like candy.
    Sorry but that's my impression... it's the best tasting fat on a cow!
    I'l lick it right off my fingers... and slurp on the bones.

If you don't like slimy textures... umm... put it with something.
    I think this is why it's served with toasts most of the time. It's like beef butter.
    Have it with some potato or rice maybe... or a vegetable of your choice.
    I tend to loosen the marrow with a butter knife... a chopstick is good for veal, lamb, venison bones... and suck the marrow right out.
    But I've been eating marrow as long as I can remember being alive.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.