Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you make natto or supplement K2 page

camel is offline Senior Member

Do you make natto or supplement K2

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading about K2 and how important it is, so I've gone and ordered natto bacteria starter. Anyone here make/eat natto? I hope I can eat it. I like blue cheese and strong flavors, so hopefully can acquire a taste for it. It's a very cheap K2 supplement.

If I can't stomach it, any suggestions for getting it down, or pill recommendations?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i've had natto in japanese places -- super pungent and weirdly slimy. it was with seaweed and rice. i sometimes have it at home with scrambled eggs and seaweed. i don't eat it much now because it's soy this way. what do you do with the starter?

since june, i have been taking butter oil, which is a big source of k2, as well as eating grass-fed dairy. i no longer have cracking joints and my two pinky toenails, which were always "weird" and kinda broken, are healthy and normal now. those pills have run out and i'm waiting for k2 to arrive, hopefully today. will see if there is a difference. i ordered carlson labs brand.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Cheese.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I barfed when I tried Natto, and I have an Iron stomach. Good luck.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Cheese.
    I eat cheese and recently I started to eat natto. I actually like the taste of the one I bought - yes, I like blue cheeses and I like/miss steak tartare. There are others which look too slimy.
    I eat the way I should - I mix, mix, mix with soy sauce, mustard and chopped onions and add to hot white rice.
    There are countless videos - just google "How to eat/make natto." I don't make my own.
    Last edited by anna5; 10-02-2012 at 09:37 AM.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    why don't you eat steak tartare? i love the stuff.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

I am afraid of raw meat. I think that it's probably too expensive in some fancy restaurants where they possibly know what they are doing.
    Last edited by anna5; 10-02-2012 at 09:37 AM.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i've had natto in japanese places -- super pungent and weirdly slimy. it was with seaweed and rice. i sometimes have it at home with scrambled eggs and seaweed. i don't eat it much now because it's soy this way. what do you do with the starter?

since june, i have been taking butter oil, which is a big source of k2, as well as eating grass-fed dairy. i no longer have cracking joints and my two pinky toenails, which were always "weird" and kinda broken, are healthy and normal now. those pills have run out and i'm waiting for k2 to arrive, hopefully today. will see if there is a difference. i ordered carlson labs brand.
    Do you know how much K2 you are taking in via the butter oil supplements? I'm having a hard time finding any dosage recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    Do you know how much K2 you are taking in via the butter oil supplements? I'm having a hard time finding any dosage recommendations.
    I think that natto has much, much more.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    I think that natto has much, much more.
    I make tartar, it is DELISH, & oh so good for you. It's bascially cerviche w/ beef. I've eaten tons of natto, when I was macrobiotic. also when I was in Japan, mixed w/ morning eggs. Many Japanese hate it, the smell, the sliminess & the strong french cheesy taste. Others relish it. I do & will slurp down some natto with the best of 'em. Nattokinase is made from natto ONLY. Butter oil is great, but imo, the two are unique & different eating experiences, & also the effects are likely quite different (jmho, never looked into it, just surmising). One is a fully fermented transformed soy product eaten in very small quantities. The other is a dairy product eaten in fairly liberal quantities.

Energtically, according the traditional Asian &/or TCM theory, they are nothing alike actually once ingested. On a K2 basis, they share that of course, but that's a narrow, reductionist/mechanistic western way of viewing food, imo.
    Last edited by Betorq; 10-02-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast