Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you make natto or supplement K2 page 2

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The K2 in natto is MK-7, while the K2 in dairy fat is MK-4. I think I've heard that they are both beneficial, but they are certainly different.

Green Pasture doesn't put nutrition facts on their products because they vary from batch to batch. They do have sample data on their website though: Test Data - Green Pasture

They don't break it out by K2, they just have a Quinone column (K2 MK4 and MK7 are types of quinones).

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I take a supplement for it, as an experiment to help heal a tooth with a cavity in it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

camel is offline Senior Member
    FOOD VITAMIN K2 (MCG/100G)
    Natto 1103.4 (0% MK-4)
    Goose Liver Paste 369.0 (100% MK-4)
    Hard Cheeses 76.3 (6% MK-4)
    Butter 15.0 (100% MK-4)

But I dont know if this is grass fed butter, or how much MK4 or 7 high vitamin butter oil has.
    Looks like natto has hundreds of times more K2 than any other food.

I think fermenting the soy cancels the negative effects that soy normally has.

I hope that I can eat natto without puking! I'm okay with other fermented stuff. Even tried fermented squid in Korea. Like kimchi. Am ok with slimy textures. Here's hoping!

I wonder if I can blend up natto into a slurry and drink it down with pinched nose. Anyone tried that? You don't need much natto to get a lot of K2

I ordered natto bacterial culture from GEM cultures ($3). A bunch of dried soybeans are cheap too. So if my experimaent fails theres not much harm done. Apparently you just add a little culture to hot cooked soybeans and let ferment at about 100 degrees like yogurt for 24 hrs. Then freeze in small portions. (freezing doesn't kill the fermentation, the culture can survive in extreme temps) One batch should last me forever. Anyone want to go on a natto making adventure with me?
    Last edited by camel; 10-02-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I love stinky cheese, fermented food, fermented fish sauce, etc. having grown up in Asia, I'm open to a wide variety of flavor and tastes. I've eaten balut and other foods most people wouldn't touch with a pole.

That said, my first taste of natto was my last. If something could make me lose my appetite, that was it. Dear lord the stuff is foul.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

bravoco is offline Junior Member
    Long time lurker first time posting, Here is a very good article about Mk-4 and MK-7. In the paragraph titled where has all the vitamin K2 gone item three talks about Mk-7 and the importance of natto being the best source for it. I make my own it's cheap and easy to do. My source for the natto starter is cultures for health. I use organic non GMO soy beans from my local health food store. I cannot find the small soy beans traditionally used for natto, so I use the regular beans and they work fine.

The Mystery of X-Factor Butter Oil and Vitamin K2: Solved

Quote Originally Posted by bravoco View Post
    Long time lurker first time posting, Here is a very good article about Mk-4 and MK-7. In the paragraph titled where has all the vitamin K2 gone item three talks about Mk-7 and the importance of natto being the best source for it. I make my own it's cheap and easy to do. My source for the natto starter is cultures for health. I use organic non GMO soy beans from my local health food store. I cannot find the small soy beans traditionally used for natto, so I use the regular beans and they work fine.

The Mystery of X-Factor Butter Oil and Vitamin K2: Solved
    Hey, welcome!
    That's a great article.
    So how do you like natto, did you acquire a taste for it, or do you just choke it down?
    How hard is it to make, any tips for a newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I love stinky cheese, fermented food, fermented fish sauce, etc. having grown up in Asia, I'm open to a wide variety of flavor and tastes. I've eaten balut and other foods most people wouldn't touch with a pole.

That said, my first taste of natto was my last. If something could make me lose my appetite, that was it. Dear lord the stuff is foul.
    That's amazing, I don't think I could eat balut. I hope I can eat natto. The pictures of it actually look good to me, but I guess its all about the smell and texture. I think I can get over the texture, and I could plug my nose...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Didn't read any other suggestions, but eat grass fed cheeses and butter to up your K2 naturally. I don't supplement cause I get plenty of both. If you non dairy paily I would definitely supplement.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    That's amazing, I don't think I could eat balut. I hope I can eat natto. The pictures of it actually look good to me, but I guess its all about the smell and texture. I think I can get over the texture, and I could plug my nose...
    Well, all japanese grocery stores have it, in these tiny little styrofoam rectanglular boxes. But made from non-GMO organic soybeans? Good luck, you might find them... You just have to try this uniquely controversial stink bomb of a highly medicinal food. You''ll either hate or love 'em instantly... haha
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post

This is basically me(minus the growing up in Asia - though I've spent a few years of my life there). Fermented foods? No problem. Raw foods? Love it. Bizarre meat and vegetables that I can't identify, and can't speak enough of the local language to find out what they are? Been there , done that, plenty of times.

Natto? Barely got the first bite down, and didn't attempt the second. I'll take my supplement and call it a day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast