Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal diet vs Swimming Endurance page

TigerBeard is offline Member

Primal diet vs Swimming Endurance

Primal Fuel
    Hi

I have recently started switching towards a primal diet, as I have diabetes and am going primal to clean out the sugar-providers from my diet.

However, I am also in the middle of doing a sponsored 22 mile swim (over 5 weeks) in my local pool. I'm swimming breaststroke, as I cant do crawl due to a sports injury. Hard work, as any sponsored event should be!

On the Primal diet, my energy levels in the swim have crashed; I don't have the endurance I had while on my previous normal carb diet.

All the primal stuff talks about "walk more", "lift weights", etc., so doesnt seem to have much relevance to swimming, and certainly not endurance swimming (high energy output over sustained period). Primal seems tailored to running/walking (Grok clearly hated water!).

So 2 questions:
    1) Should I suspend my move into Primal while doing this intense sponsored swim, to sustain my energy levels? I'll return to it after the mega-swim, but feel I am being badly served by a low-carb, high-protein diet for the swim.
    2) What is the best Primal way to fuel endurance swimming?
    3) (OK I cant count!) Is there any advice from endurance swimmers, triathletes, etc. that would help?

Thanks in advance.

TigerBeard

RobbyJ is offline Member
    You're right that in the short term you might need some extra carbs, but there are plenty of primal sources of carbs. Look at some Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Squash, etc. When you first switch to a lower carb diet your body needs to adapt to fat burning, which can take a few weeks or more depending on the person. Once your body gets switched over, you can do endurance events at pretty low carb levels. Check out this guy who won the Western States 100 (thats a 100 mile run) on low carb: Western States 100 Low Carber Wins Ultramarathon Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek Study | Me and My Diabetes .

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Up your carb intake, like Robby said. White potatoes and white rice aren't terrible either, if you are trying for high carb foods.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Make sure your salt intake is up to snuff if you're planning to stay lo-carb.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyJ View Post
    You're right that in the short term you might need some extra carbs, but there are plenty of primal sources of carbs. Look at some Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Squash, etc. When you first switch to a lower carb diet your body needs to adapt to fat burning, which can take a few weeks or more depending on the person. Once your body gets switched over, you can do endurance events at pretty low carb levels.
    Thanks. I'll try adding in some marrow, and sweet potato to my pre-swim meals. Good to hear that its a transition thing, not an impossibility.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Hi tiger beard,

I swim twice per week in a squad 1 hour at a time early morning ( covering 2.5 km each session) I swim on an empty stomach and typically have a egg and bacon breakfast after, swimming does make me more hungry but I just tend to eat a few more nuts or fruit on swimming days. I don't notice any major crashes or bonks eating and swimming primal. Every now and then I crave some rice or higher carbs. A banana is a good source of carbs/fuel as well per swim.

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

NextSteps is offline Junior Member
    Stick with it. Seems to me like adding carbs isn't necessarily critical if you have the time to swim slowly. Switch to side stroke or elementary backstroke (unless the injury precludes this) to break it up. You can also take a longer glide in the breast stroke and if you aren't doing flip turns pause a little longer between laps. Swimming is great, low-impact exercise and your body will adjust to it. There shouldn't be any reason why you can't do your sprints in the water, either. Except I always found it's hard to push myself to the limit when swimming because I start to drown before I hit maximum. : )

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    You may nor be eating enough 22 miles in 5 weeks is less than 5 miles a week which should be manageable.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Thanks for all your posts. I should finish the 22 miles challenge this week (or early next). I suspect I'm not eating enough fats as carb energy replacement. Veg is up, protein is up, carb is down, but my fats are still low, which sort of echoes what Dirlot said.

For someone who did little to no exercise for 25 years until January, 22 miles in 5 weeks is pretty good

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Don't forget the salt. It is at least 50% of the reason for the initial adjustment period being as bad as it is.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast