Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about fish oil -- liquid vs capsules page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Talk to me about fish oil -- liquid vs capsules

Primal Fuel
    I've been taking fish oil gel caps (Kirkland brand), mostly because taking shots of liquid fish oil sounds rather nasty. However, I'm concerned about potential, unidentified rancidity of the encapsulated oil, which I hear is not uncommon.

What are your thoughts on the risk of rancidity with capsules?
    Have you tried liquid fish oil? What brands are most palatable? How does the cost compare?
    Other thoughts or experiences?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I just started taking Fish oil gel caps myself. I would be interested to know others' opinions.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member
    I take 1 tsp of Carlsons cod liver oil (lemon flavor). Bout $23 for a bottle (don't know the oz off the top of my head). Rancidity is not a problem.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I take New Chapter's WholeMega. I like them a lot. No rancidity, good quality.

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    I use both the capsules and the liquid. The capsules are a generic brand (sorry, Mark). I keep the bottle in the fridge to avoid any possible rancidity from my end. The liquid is the bottle available at the seafood counter of my local supermarket ($6.95/liter); there is no taste whatsoever.

I use both because it's a little akward to carry a 1 liter bottle of cod liver oil around with you, but a small pill case is simple. Provided that I'm going to be at home for the duration of the day (so that I can get my 3 small doses a day in) I will only use the liquid.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    I just started using Carlson's liquid Omega-3, lemon-flavored fish oil. After 10 minutes of staring at the bottle, I tried it. Thankfully, it is not at all what I expected! It's a lot thinner in consistency, a lot more lemony, and a lot less fishy than I thought it would be. Actually, the fishy-flavor is barely noticable. (No fish burps either!) After some convincing, I also got BF to try it. He literally went from - 'I don't know why I'm doing this, I'm not going to use this stuff again' to 'huh, you can put this on salads?' (printed on the bottle)

I'd say it's definitely worth a try

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I take cod liver oil. Unflavored, tastes oily and like fish, have to flush it down with a bit of orange juice xD.... I think it's easier (and possibly cheaper) to get high amounts of fish based omega 3 this way, + you will be able to tell if it goes rancid etc. But definately going for flavored next time..

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I take Carlson's brand fish oil capsules because I had heard that they were among the purest, and I've been totally satisfied with them---never any rancid issues, and I don't keep them in the fridge.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, all.

The Carlson's liquid sounds pretty tolerable. (Panda, I'm not super-squemish, but plain cod liver oil sounds pretty gnarley!)

Those of you who say you aren't having rancidity problems with capsules -- how do you know? Do you open a capsule periodically to check? (That's what the Eades recommend.)
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

jkilbane is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I keep my capsules in the freezer and I rarely ever get "fish burps". I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible for these to go off unless they were already rancid when I bought them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast