Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about fish oil -- liquid vs capsules page 3

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    How do you really know what it's doing? What proof do you have that it actually works? What kind of symptoms do you get taking it vs. not taking it?
    Fair question. I think it's just a matter of trusting the science. A skewed O3:O6 ratio does its damage over time, rather than acutely, so I wouldn't expect to notice any dramatic difference in the immediate sense.

MichaelWeaver, you really can tell a difference? Huh. Anyone else?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    It's called skreimlje and consists of cod eggs (rogn), cod liver (mashed up and cooked with onion, salt and pepper) and the cod itself. Traditionally served with flatbread and potatoes.
    Hey, now that actually sounds pretty good.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

The Tree of Life is offline Junior Member

The Tree of Life

I think you have a great page here today was my first time coming here.. I just happened to find it doing a google search. anyway, good post.. Ill be bookmarking this page for sure.

Lilychemgirl is offline Member
    I avoid cod liver oil bottles from retail shops, as they basically all have added vit. D and A (synthetic) and that can be a problem for women of childbearing age (if you get pregnant and are going to have the child, as it can cause problems in high dosages, and as it is fat soluble can build up in the body, unlike water soluble vitamins which are just peed out). I am going to go now and chew a fish oil capsule, although the thought grosses me out!
    I have just ordered a trial bottle of the cod liver oil from this site: Green Pasture Products based on recommendations from the Weston Price website: Cod Liver Oil Basics and Recommendations - assuming I can choke it down I will buy a big bottle! I'll let you know how it goes

Lilychemgirl is offline Member
    I got my butter oil and stuff today, and both my daughters will eat the chocolate flavoured cod liver/butter oil blend (which is a miracle) so if you are keen for a more natural cod liver oil but squeamish about fish taste (me!) then I think that isa good option.

Oh, and how can you tell if your fish oil capsule tastes appropriately fishy, or rancid fishy? Having no point of comparison I don't know how it is supposed to taste!

DDDDDDEDD is offline Junior Member

-----

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if this was mentioned but Paul Jaminet doesn't advice taking fish oil capsules as he says they go rancid pretty quickly even if you're not aware of it. I have mine in the fridge.

In either case, he's not mentioning liquid bottles. I took Carlson's fish oil in a bottle and now I'm taking Nature's Answer Liquid Omega 3.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    The biggest difference between fish oil and fish oil capsules is price. Plain fish oil is lots cheaper. Usually by a third to half depending on the brand.

As for rancidity, the danger is not so much in your capsules going rancid, it's that a LOT of companies start with questionable to outright rancid stock. And there are plenty of ways for those companies to hide that flavor.

Personally, I use Nordic Naturals (and I am not affiliated with that company, so the following Rave is just me letting you guys know about an awesome product . . . I don't get paid to say nice things about them). For one thing, they use only arctic fish with dense, concentrated layers of fat. For another they buy only fish from day-fishermen (out and back in within 12hrs) and their processing plants are located within an hour drive of the docks where they purchase the fish. It is processed immediately.

Their standards are higher than the standards of any country or any international standards.

I will say they are insanely expensive compared to CVS or Kirkland. But IMO it's well worth the addition expense.

Pretty much all fish oil tablets are 1000mg (one gram) and it says so right on the front of the package. Useless information. Look at the back and see how many mg of EPA and DHA you are getting per caplet. Many *fish oil* tablets have added vegetable oils.

But the biggest selling point for me is that their fish oil comes in natural triglyceride form. Just like you'd get it from fish fat. Your body recognizes it and digests it. Many fish oils, in a push to *condense* the amount of EPA and DHA break that portion out of the oil and pack it back into your capsule, discarding much of the neutral oil. But they don't *put it back together* - they just slap in a random fat chain to keep it stable and your body does NOT recognize it as a natural animal fat and won't absorb and digest all of it. Much of it gets crapped.

Finally - Nordic Naturals has every batch of their products third-party-tested.

Whoever you get you fish oil from should be able to provide documentation that their fish oil has been tested by a third party and be able to mail you documentation to that effect. Just calling and asking for it will tell you plenty. If they hesitate or make excuses or try to put you off/change the subject, pick another fish oil.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 07-01-2011 at 08:13 PM.

GQVQVVQQ is offline Junior Member
    sait - =
    --------------

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    I second the Wholemega fish oil. Its wild alaskan salmon, which means its sustainable. If you are worried about rancidity, just bite it yourself and taste. The only preservative in it is rosemary oil and it actually tastes pretty good. Sadly, it does repeat. I can't say thats a bad thing really. I mean, if you didn't get fishy burps, you wouldn't know if the softgels actually dissolved.
    They won't make a liquid fish oil though, since every time you open the bottle, it causes oxidization.
    Calm the f**k down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast