Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about fish oil -- liquid vs capsules page 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I just switched to a Salmon oil capsules I bought at Whole Foods, no fishy burps like my last bottle (though, I kind of wonder if that's a sign that it's "working" or that my body's taking in the fish oil?) so I'm not sure if the move to Salmon oil was wise but I paid $30 for the bottle so you better believe I'll finish it. I never thought of putting in the fridge, should I? I take one everyday dutifully so it shouldn't last more than two months...

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkilbane View Post
    I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible for these to go off unless they were already rancid when I bought them.
    I think that's exactly the problem. As I understand it, encapsulated oil is sometimes rancid upon purchase, but it goes undetected because we can't taste or smell it.

I keep my capsules in the fridge, too, but that doesn't help if they came from the manufacturer already rancid...

Here's an Eades post on the subject: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/u...ized-fish-oil/
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    I think that's exactly the problem. As I understand it, encapsulated oil is sometimes rancid upon purchase, but it goes undetected because we can't taste or smell it.

I keep my capsules in the fridge, too, but that doesn't help if they came from the manufacturer already rancid...

Here's an Eades post on the subject: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/u...ized-fish-oil/
    From the article:

How do you insure that the fish oil you get is not rancid? It’s actually pretty easy. First, purchase the freshest fish oil capsules you can find. Take them home, and if they are in plastic bottles, put them in glass bottles. Plastic bottles, surprisingly enough, are not totally impervious to air. Glass bottles are impervious to air. Most fish oil is encapsulated using gel caps, which are also not impervious to air. You can’t really reencapsulate the fish oil, so you’ve got to live with the gel caps, but putting them into a glass bottle keeps the air from getting to the gel caps in the first place. Second, put the glass bottle in the refrigerator. The cold will markedly slow down the oxidation process even if a little air gets in the bottle. Refrigerated fish last a lot longer than fish left out on the counter.

The final step you can take to insure freshness of your fish oil capsules is to bite into one and chew it. If it is rancid, you’ll know it. If it is, throw the whole batch out. If you perform the chew test every four or five days, you’ll always know you’re taking unrancid fish oil.
    Puts me a bit at ease, mine came in a glass bottle, I'll do a chew test today and hopefully it's not rancid and I can store it in the fridge.

A new question arises: is it better to chew the capsules for better absorption by the body or would it not really matter? I wish he had mentioned that... maybe the fact that he didn't means it doesn't make much of a difference?

SpudClampDawg is offline Junior Member
    Another vote for Carlson's. I was hesitant at first, but after getting used to the lemon taste, I look forward to it everyday. I take a tsp in the morning and at night. I get the big bottle from vitaminshoppe.com for about $23.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I open a capsule about 2-3X a week and give the oil to my dog. WholeMega doesn't have to be refrigerated. In fact, they recommend against it.

http://www.newchapter.com/truestories/54

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    LOL Suzan! Great idea to give the test oil to the dog. I'm going to start doing that.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    Yet another vote for Carlson's liquid. I tried it about a year ago and have never had a desire to try any other. Prior to that I tried several capsule brands (including the expensive high-end pharmaceutical ones) and all gave me the fish burps.

Carlson's liquid is also more cost effective too.

Godzilla is offline Senior Member
    I take fish oil gel tablets. It's supposed to reduce inflammation. My question is: How do you really know what it's doing? What proof do you have that it actually works? What kind of symptoms do you get taking it vs. not taking it? I can't discern any.

Little_Fish is offline Member
    I take twinlab's cod liver oil. not every single day though. I bought some norwegian cod liver oil in a bottle ($15) it was gross, after several times of plugging my nose and swallowing it down, I couldn't force myself to do it any longer.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    The Carlson's liquid sounds pretty tolerable. (Panda, I'm not super-squemish, but plain cod liver oil sounds pretty gnarley!)
    Back when I was a kid there was a cod liver oil plant / refinery at the fishermans warf. I was once able to have a taste of freshly made cod liver oil. It didn't taste anything but gooooooood. No fishy, oily taste at all, just the good taste of hot fish liver.

Once a year a lot of cod is swimming along the coast of Northern Norway to spawn in the fjord of Lofoten. When this cod passed Andenes, where I grew up, they are caught in nets and a special dish is prepared. It's called skreimølje and consists of cod eggs (rogn), cod liver (mashed up and cooked with onion, salt and pepper) and the cod itself. Traditionally served with flatbread and potatoes. It's a D-Vitamin bomb and is cherished at a time of the year when there is no sunlight (just a mere couple of hours of daylight) at 70 degrees north.

I take Superba Krill Oil now - they are made on factory ships while at sea in the Antarctic.
    Last edited by Sungrazer; 04-07-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast