Thread: Food 'coming back up' sensation - reflux? page

nriv is offline Junior Member

Food 'coming back up' sensation - reflux?

Shop Now
    Hello. I have been Paleo "on and off" for just over a year. For the last 4-5 months I have been experiencing a sort of sensation as though something was creeping back up my esophagus and just sitting around the chest level. This can happen at any time not just after eating food or particular foods, it seems random to me. My g.p. told me this is reflux, but I have never actually had any food come all the way up. Also, there is no acidy feeling, I have never had heartburn or indigestion in my life. I also am sometimes having a "taste/smell" come up into my mouth which I imagine is the contents of my stomach, it is a bit funky and grosses me out when it happens. Aside from this my bowel movements are fine and everything else seems normal. I am 29.

Has anyone had a similar experience after changing to Paleo, or does anyone know about this or have any ideas?

I also had blood tests, all of which came back normal except bilirubin which was very high. The doc didnt say this was an issue.

Thanks so much for looking and posting.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, acid reflux is no fun and when I did the Whole 30 I went thru a phase. A few things trigger it- cooked tomatoes and peppers, too much avocado, ghee and too much coconut. Mostly you need to find was does it to you and limit or avoid those foods (or take a medication). It does tend to get worse over time, and mine goes from a little discomfort to full on disruption due to discomfort.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    There is a number of other things that can cause this; reflux is the most common, but there are other things, such as actual structural abnormalities (e.g. hiatal hernia, which is also associated with reflux, or Zenker's diverticulum) or poor function of the esophagus (e.g. achalasia). Most of these can be diagnosed with a barium swallow, which is a fairly simple and painless test to get, so I would request that if you find these symptoms bothersome.