Thread: Hello! page

Hayley is offline Junior Member

Hello!

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone

Just wanted to pop in and say hello! My name is Hayley, i'm from the UK and i'm so glad i joined the forum.

I started living the paleo way a few months back and i cant believe how good i felt. My new lifestyle meant that i lost quite a lot of weight (which i needed) and then gradually as i started to get comfortable in my new skin, old habits started to creep back in.
    Over the past month or so i've been feeling anxious and very unwell. Everything about my body feels generally "off"

Before starting to eat Paleo i was very skeptical about the claims of more energy and increased well being etc... but i have to admit that i'm totally converted and at the same time a little annoyed that i slipped back to my old ways. But a lesson learned, the hard way and as i've so rightly read in the book a number of times "i'm sick of being sick".

So here i am, starting afresh, and sooo looking forward to feeling better!

There are a few things that i've still not fully been able to say goodbye to yet, like a little bit of milk in my coffee, or the odd latte, so if anyone has any good alternatives i'd love to know about those.

Anyway, i'm really glad to be here, and really looking forward to making some Paleo friends

Hayley x

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with another new you. I started in March and although I don't "feel better," others have noticed that I am looking better. I indulge myself with wine, chocolate and other things but am very strict about grains, apart from white rice every couple of weeks or so.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I'd say it depends what your reservations aroind the latte stem from. Ity migjt be on account of sugar concerns from the lactose. Iyt could be because you're thinking you might actually be intolerant of eithr lactose or casein. Or it could be more generally the raft of issues around dairy that Professor Cordain, among othets, raises.

You could substitute green tea, which is nice just as it comes. Or you could take the coffee black. If you wanty to put something in it, then the higher the level of butterfat in the dairy the lower the level of the potentially problematic proteins etc. So trystirring in a tablespoon of double cream. Some people here even add butter or ghee (which is clarified butter). That freaks some people out because they still think in terms of "calories". If that were a worry to anyone why wouldn't they leave it off their broccoli instead? If you want something quite warm and comforting like a latte that could be somethingh to experiment with. People have recipes where they add a little butter, a little coconut oil, and a selection of spices and froth it all up till it goes a bit like latte. Haven't tried it myself.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! And congratulations; starting fresh (again and again) seems common. It can be tough to live Primal in a non-Primal world. So many bad habits and temptations. Your motivation will get you through.

I'm not sure you have to ditch your little bit of milk in your coffee. I guess it depends how hardcore you wish to be. I use heavy whipping cream (grass fed if I can find it); just a Tablespoon or so. Blend it up with 1T grass fed ghee (I have a little handheld frother: BonJour Primo Latte) and YUM! I'm just sadly taking the last few sips as I sit here at 5:30am with the dogs.

I've been Primal about the same length as you. I am struggling to rid my diet of processed sugar and to eat enough protein. Grains were easy. Most of us have our battles and our continued indulgences. It isn't about perfection (it better not be or I'm screwed).

Keep us posted on your progress. ~Pam

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Welcome

I wouldnt worry about that little bit of milk just now. There are bigger fish to fry (grill). Just be happy with yourself for returning to this way of life and celebrate by trying something new (a type of food, exercise etc).

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Hey! Check out the FB group here https://www.facebook.com/PrimalBlueprintMeetupsUk

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Checked out the fb page. Are u getting many hits? Is there a community growing?

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    It's not mine, just doing my bit to get it noticed!