Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle twitches page

ny2001miata is offline Junior Member

Muscle twitches

Shop Now
    Since I started eating primal, around a month ago, I've started to get some muscle twitches here and there. Maybe I need to eat more foods with potassium and magnesium. Anybody else experience this while going low-carb?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't experienced this, but it comes up in the Eades' chapter on magneseum in Protein Power Lifeplan. Just a possible source of more info for you.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

musajen is offline Junior Member
    I developed an eye twitch after a few months of being primal. My eye doctor recommended drops for my eyes but as an after thought, made a comment about magnesium sometimes helping with twitches. I opted to skip the eye drops and try a magnesium supplement (just got a cheap brand from the big box mart) and no more eye twitch.

The Eades' also recommend supplementing with magnesium and potassium in their new book (6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle) because it is easy to become deficient in these on a super low-carb diet.

The supplement is an easy symptom alleviator but eventually you might want to try adding a few more magnesium and potassium rich foods to your diet for long term health. Something I still need to do by the way . . .

ny2001miata is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be stopping at the vitamin shoppe after work and pick up some magnesium. Just as a side note I had a banana as a snack before lunch today and I haven't noticed any twitching. Maybe that quick shot of potassium and magnesium helped.

Zyzzyx is offline Junior Member
    I've had small muscle twitches for years. Most often in the bit of muscle just above and inside of the kneecap. It'll twitch when I'm seated. Also sometimes on my elbow in a similar spot. I'm 36 and have had these little twitches for over 20 years. Might show up once, maybe twice, a month, so I've never worried about them. On the contrary, they're almost entertaining sometimes. Yeah, I know... simple life.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I take potassium and magnesium supplements every night. No more muscle twitches (or cramps, either! I used to get awful charley horses), and I sleep better, too.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Ali
    Ali is offline Member
    I have had an eye twitch that started 2 months ago as well - and sometimes other muscles twitch too. The difference with me is that I pretty much fell off the wagon exactly the same time (and have been on and off since then and barely able to stay primal for a few days at a time due to the illness and death of someone near and dear to me).

I have started upping my calcium, magnesium, potassium and today is day 1 of my journey back to 100% primal, 99% of the time. Since I have added cal/mag back into my regime (about a week ago) the twitching has definitely lessened. Hmm, now I am wondering if its because of the magnesium and not so much the calcium (its a 2:1 ratio)

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    I would think that eating nuts (unfermented) and grains, beans, etc. remove magnesium from the body and going primal would fix it... phytates are what cause the problem.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Muscle twitching and cramping is a good sign of mineral deficiencies and/or electrolyte imbalance. As suggested above try supplementing with Magnesium/potassium which is what athletes are most commonly deficient in. Could be calcium too, especially if you don't consume a dairy allotted primal plan.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    I get muscle spasms/twitching occasionally while working out, especially in my biceps when I'm trying to do a slow push-up. Pretty obnoxious. I use No-Salt on all my food, and use a potassium supplement but it's only 3% of your RDA. Can't imagine that does much... I did learn that ham has more potassium than a banana though. There you go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast