Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your 20%?

Hybrid View

How do you get your 20%?

I am fairly young (29) and I am not doing this for weight loss (anymore) but to be healthy and for a lifestyle I can maintain. I enjoy my 20% and if your a person who eat 100% then well done but this isn't a thread for you.

I train pretty hard 3-4 times a week and I eat 14 (2 a day) meals a week, so at the moment I have 2 fairly decent treats (Pizza, dessert etc..) after 2 of my training sessions as part of my 20% and the rest of it I guess includes Coffee. the rest of the time my food is nearly always meat/fish and veg.

This seems to be working quite well for me and seems to in some way give me the Carbs (I know I can get better Carbs) I need after a tough workout, although I am open to suggestions.

So my question is, how do people structure there 20%? In 2/3 sittings or throughout the week and what do people think is the best way forward?

I eat healthfully 95% of the time but sometimes my mind just wants some really bad sugary food that are almost devoid of nutrition. Then I sit down, give in to my craving and go to town on a bag of milk chocolate, sugar content be damned. I also let myself have hard liquor when I go out, which isn't often. I don't calculate out my 20% or whatever, but I do give myself some room for flexibility.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I don't structure it in, per say. I use it to deal with real life situations, have the occasional glass of red wine, and some full fat ice cream on a hot summer day.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I would be hard pressed to find that many people here structure their 20%. I think most people just aim to eat primal most of the time and just allow themselves i.e. social situations to have a few non primal foods if need be. I certainly try not to but I am learning not to shoot myself if I do eat the occassional non primal food. I do not work out as intense as you though it seems.

I eat a pint of haagen dazs every weekend.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Your so, concious about your health from these age.good luck

I save my cheats for commercial condiments, like W. sauce & liquid smoke in a jerky recipe, a touch of concentrated orange juice added to a roast pumpkin soup, and having all natural ham with some sugar in the ingredient list, basically, I go for allowing those trace quantities into the diet while avoiding cheat meals per se. I do make my own mayo and marinara, but I do want to have flexibility to have W. sauce or Soy sauce if the recipe calls for it or a touch of sweetener.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

The 20% thing isn't literally about programming one fifth of your food as non paleo/primal. It's more like a kinda bottom line or a way of looking at what's good enough in a practical sense. I don't get the concept of 80/20 other than if life gets in the way it allows us to weigh up the emotional/health/social cost and if required, to just go with it without beating ourselves up.
    Last edited by avelin; 10-02-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typos
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

I envy you. Right now, I find the need to be 100% to lose. But before my 20% was regular coffee, ice cream, and coffee with cream and sugar. I found that when I went off and just ate something way off base like pizza, I felt like ass.

I think the best way is what way works for you. For me, a large splurge non-primal meal is a ticket to feeling bad, but I know a lot of people do well. On the other hand, a small splurge here and there often grows, that square of chocolate becomes a whole bar.

My plan is to try and do a primal splurge meal- say primal pancakes or some kind of paleo baked good when I get the urge. I'm on day 27 of Whole 30 and it gets a little austere at times.

I've felt so good since going primal that I've no real desire to cheat. I do still have coffee in the morning, and 1-2 beers at most on the weekends - but that is the total sum of my "cheating" - which is far less than 20%. I am sure there will be times when I am visiting family or the very rare restaurant visit to socialize that I will need to "cheat", but aside from that I don't even think about it. I've found that now my body is accustomed to eating real food, my stomach lets me know fast when I eat something it doesn't want...