Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your 20%? page

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member

How do you get your 20%?

Primal Fuel
    I am fairly young (29) and I am not doing this for weight loss (anymore) but to be healthy and for a lifestyle I can maintain. I enjoy my 20% and if your a person who eat 100% then well done but this isn't a thread for you.

I train pretty hard 3-4 times a week and I eat 14 (2 a day) meals a week, so at the moment I have 2 fairly decent treats (Pizza, dessert etc..) after 2 of my training sessions as part of my 20% and the rest of it I guess includes Coffee. the rest of the time my food is nearly always meat/fish and veg.

This seems to be working quite well for me and seems to in some way give me the Carbs (I know I can get better Carbs) I need after a tough workout, although I am open to suggestions.

So my question is, how do people structure there 20%? In 2/3 sittings or throughout the week and what do people think is the best way forward?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I eat healthfully 95% of the time but sometimes my mind just wants some really bad sugary food that are almost devoid of nutrition. Then I sit down, give in to my craving and go to town on a bag of milk chocolate, sugar content be damned. I also let myself have hard liquor when I go out, which isn't often. I don't calculate out my 20% or whatever, but I do give myself some room for flexibility.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I don't structure it in, per say. I use it to deal with real life situations, have the occasional glass of red wine, and some full fat ice cream on a hot summer day.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    I would be hard pressed to find that many people here structure their 20%. I think most people just aim to eat primal most of the time and just allow themselves i.e. social situations to have a few non primal foods if need be. I certainly try not to but I am learning not to shoot myself if I do eat the occassional non primal food. I do not work out as intense as you though it seems.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I eat a pint of haagen dazs every weekend.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Your so, concious about your health from these age.good luck

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I save my cheats for commercial condiments, like W. sauce & liquid smoke in a jerky recipe, a touch of concentrated orange juice added to a roast pumpkin soup, and having all natural ham with some sugar in the ingredient list, basically, I go for allowing those trace quantities into the diet while avoiding cheat meals per se. I do make my own mayo and marinara, but I do want to have flexibility to have W. sauce or Soy sauce if the recipe calls for it or a touch of sweetener.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I envy you. Right now, I find the need to be 100% to lose. But before my 20% was regular coffee, ice cream, and coffee with cream and sugar. I found that when I went off and just ate something way off base like pizza, I felt like ass.

I think the best way is what way works for you. For me, a large splurge non-primal meal is a ticket to feeling bad, but I know a lot of people do well. On the other hand, a small splurge here and there often grows, that square of chocolate becomes a whole bar.

My plan is to try and do a primal splurge meal- say primal pancakes or some kind of paleo baked good when I get the urge. I'm on day 27 of Whole 30 and it gets a little austere at times.

Catrin is online now Senior Member
    I've felt so good since going primal that I've no real desire to cheat. I do still have coffee in the morning, and 1-2 beers at most on the weekends - but that is the total sum of my "cheating" - which is far less than 20%. I am sure there will be times when I am visiting family or the very rare restaurant visit to socialize that I will need to "cheat", but aside from that I don't even think about it. I've found that now my body is accustomed to eating real food, my stomach lets me know fast when I eat something it doesn't want...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The way you phrase your question and describe what you are doing makes it sound like you see having artificial foods as a must-have or a "right" or some kind of reward for not being fat or somehow a major part of this lifestyle. I don't understand why once you've found excellent health you would consider fouling it up with 20% of crappy stuff that will just bring down your vitality. For me, I just do the best I can at all times, I don't want any "cheat meals" because they simply do not appeal, they're always a let-down, I cook better than almost any restaurant out there. I understand that sometimes I can't control everything I'm going to eat so I know that in the long run a little bit of bad stuff here and there isn't going to kill me. I enjoy a craft beer now and then. I go out to a meal with friends and make the best choice I can knowing it's going to have sub-par ingredients, I choose the best-looking things at a potluck even if they have things in them I don't normally eat. I'll have a bite of a dessert now and then. I'll let my boyfriend buy cheap sushi at the store and have a few pieces knowing the fake crab meat is full of MSG. I don't dwell on these things. They're not important. But I don't make them a specific ingredient in my life and not nearly at such a huge level as 20% of my diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast