Thread: Help with Thyroid Labs page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Help with Thyroid Labs

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone;

About 2 months ago I developed a new and pretty severe depression and anxiety. I have been primal for 2 years with great success controlling my RA and losing weight. I am seeing a paleo chiropractor right now who ordered some thyroid and adrenal labs. (I did see my normal MD as well, but her only suggestion was anti-depressants).

Anyway - I got my labs back today and realized he didn't order some of the more important ones. I am wondering if any of the thyroid experts around here could tell me if they think it's worth pursing more (out of pocket) lab.

Here are my numbers:

TSH: 3.2 (ref 0.45-4.5)
    Thyroxine (T4) 7.2 (ref 4.5-12)
    T3 uptake 34% (ref 24-39)
    Free thyroxine index 2.4 (1.2-4.9)

Thyroid Antibodies
    TPO Ab <6 (ref 0-34)
    Antithyrogloblin Ab <20 (ref 0-40)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I don't have very much faith in this practitioner so any other feedback would really help me.

Thank you!!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not an expert by any means,
    But have some experience, partner has Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid.

If extra tests aren't too expensive, then worth doing IMO

I'm assuming Free thyroxine index 2.4 (1.2-4.9) translates as Free T4, in addition it would be good to see FT3 and TSH receptor antibodies.

The high TSH indicates possible subclinical HypoThyroid, but it could also be swinging the other way, it is well known that Hashimotos Thyroditis swings between Hyper & Hypo and Graves patients often swing between Hypo and Hyper for up to a couple of years before they finally go full on Hyper, but as they are rarely diagnosed at the early stage no one really knows what hormone & antibody levels they had in the lead up period.

It may be something else entirely, but as you do have RA and there is a strong crossover to thyroid disease, getting the full thyroid panel even just as a benchmark at this stage is worth it.