Thread: Cooking oils page

BigRob305 is offline Junior Member

Cooking oils

I often wonder, when you cook with butter or cocunut oil, do you add to your calorie count and fat count the total amount used? Or, does cooking it reduce the amount? really trying to track my fat intake seeing as its the most needed macro, but the hardest to eat.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Cooking can slightly reduce protein content of certain foods, but the effect is so minimal as to be hardly noticeable in any relevant way. As for fats, my understanding is that the full caloric value remains after cooking, so count the whole amount you've added to the meal as part of your totals for the meal.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I just count it in.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Cooking can slightly reduce protein content of certain foods, but the effect is so minimal as to be hardly noticeable in any relevant way. As for fats, my understanding is that the full caloric value remains after cooking, so count the whole amount you've added to the meal as part of your totals for the meal.
    depends on what you're cooking and how you're cooking it. fat melts, long before protein, so some of it may be left in the pan. however, i will pour that over my meal and prefer this to adding another non-aniaml fat to the meal.

don't obsess over this. eat meat, fatty fish, avocado, etc. get good fats.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I don't worry about it and just add the total to my calorie count for the meal. I never know what to do with bone broth however, so I typically assume that it is at least 1 tablespoon of lard and include that in my totals.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yeah, i figure about a tablespoon of tallow or schmaltz from my broths too. i still usually add butter to it anyway.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway