Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paint fumes page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

paint fumes

Shop Now
    So about two months ago I started repainting our house (interior)....room by room. It was supposedly a very low VOC paint. However in two months time I have developed chronic back and hip pain. I can NOT believe this was from the act of painting. Do you think from paint fumes? Does that sound crazy? My other thought is that all those xenoestrogens messed with my woman parts and I have a fibroid or cyst causing my back/hip pain from excessive pressure (history of cysts). I get an ultrasound next week to have a little more info as to WTH is going on with me. Also to note...my diet has been damn near pristine...gave up all alcohol, chocolate and caffeine in that time frame as well!

Anyone with these issues ---fibroids/cysts? Would this cause intense pain in my hips? I'm only 35 but I guess this could be arthritis too? All of this is FAR worse leading up to and during my period.

Colloid is offline Junior Member
    I think back and hip pain may be caused by paint fumes. Both me and my daughter have this issue. Even after the painting is done, the outgassing from the paint causes back and hip pain issues, the time paint is a problem varies by the paint. I totally understand your "Does that sound crazy?" question, because to most people it does sound crazy, I live it. We purchased a different brand of paint that claims NO VOC, and we can actually use it, not problem free, but greatly reduced reactions.

My advice:
    1) use NO VOC paint
    2) finish all painting as quickly as possible, repeated exposure to fresh paint sucks for me
    3) keep windows open until you cannot notice any odor of paint all after being out of the house for many hours
    4) do not sleep in a freshly painted room

I thought I had arthritis in all my joints, mostly gone since 2 weeks into primal, but paint will bring back the back and hip pain within minutes.

Good luck!
    Male, 5'11", 49
    MaxW 246+ 2004
    SW 212 CW 200 GW don't really care
    Goal 12+ pullups per set, current 10

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    open the windows, pick a window and stick a box fan facing outwards and turn it on so fresh air is pulled into and through the rooms airing them all out

do it frequently
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Rub some coconut oil on those walls!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    So about two months ago I started repainting our house (interior)....room by room. It was supposedly a very low VOC paint. However in two months time I have developed chronic back and hip pain. I can NOT believe this was from the act of painting.
    That it might be was my first thought.

I don't know what's in your paint and whether it could have that effect -- maybe. But certainly if you carry out a repetitive task and do it in a somewhat uncoordinated manner -- as most of us modern people do a lot of things -- then it'll hurt after a while. Happens all the time.

Did you see this post?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post966820

Where are you bending from when you go down to the bottom part of the wall? Do you bend your knees and hinge at the hips? Or do you bend your back? Have a look at the video in the link above there to get a full sense of this. Also, bear in mind that what you think you do isn't always what you do do. You can think you're doing one thing, whereas an observer, particularly if they know what to look for, can see that you're not.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    That it might be was my first thought.

I don't know what's in your paint and whether it could have that effect -- maybe. But certainly if you carry out a repetitive task and do it in a somewhat uncoordinated manner -- as most of us modern people do a lot of things -- then it'll hurt after a while. Happens all the time.

Did you see this post?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post966820

Where are you bending from when you go down to the bottom part of the wall? Do you bend your knees and hinge at the hips? Or do you bend your back? Have a look at the video in the link above there to get a full sense of this. Also, bear in mind that what you think you do isn't always what you do do. You can think you're doing one thing, whereas an observer, particularly if they know what to look for, can see that you're not.
    I have to concur. Painting may not seem that strenuous but the repetitive motion can do a number on muscles that you aren't used to using. There have been many times that I ended up sore after doing something that I didn't think would cause soreness. And painting, especially with a roller, definitely involves lower back muscles that can effect balance which then causes hip pain. Also, are you moving furniture around? And have you ever had problems in this area before. I ended up with tennis elbow after unloading one too many tons of gravel. I was used to shoveling but it was just too much. This was 7-8 months ago, and it still flares up when I overdo it, either shoveling, lifting or using the leaf blower.

Thanks for all these responses! I can admit there would be some natural soreness from a repetitive action that I wasnt used to doing (like any new exercise!). Problem is the pain hasnt abated...and flares when my hormones are flaring. I havent touched a wall in weeks but can't seem to recover? I feel like an old achey woman. Side note--at one month old I did have surgery on a supposedly "arthritic" hip. I never had any issue with it for all of my 35 years until lately...but it's both hips and my back. One day I was in so much pain that I couldnt get up from flat on my back and my parents had to come take my kids. I'm going to keep painting at bay for awhile and see how I can recover. I do remember about 5 years ago painting in our basement and being very ill at that time. (but I had a choice of a break from my babies and I jumped at doing monotonous painting.)

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Is there any way you could stay at your parents place for a few nights to see it helps any?

At least that would give you a clue as to what you're dealing with.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Request an MSDS for the paint from the store you purchased it from or search and download it online. Recommended PPE will be listed, as well as symptoms of over exposure and how to treat them will be stated. If you're looking for a third party source to recommend a safer material, Greenguard is a certification body that maintains lists of materials approved for use in occupied spaces and an even more stringent list for use in schools. I think it's doubtful that the typical latex paint with <50 grams/liter VOC is responsible for your pain. 0 VOC materials and both silica free and 0 VOC paints are out there and very durable.

Found the MSDS for this paint and it is <50 for VOCs... does have this warning:
    This product may contain small amounts of materials known to the state of California to cause cancer or reproductive
    harm.

Maybe I'm not crazy...curious to see how my ultrasound pans out.

Rita...not really reasonable to not live at home---need to get my kiddos to school in the am...dinners, homework, etc. Parents are not in the same town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast