Thread: How much money do you spend a calorie? page 2

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ok I think it's not so bad then. I spend about 0.007$ a calorie

Edit: actually less because I cook dinner for 3
    Billie trips balls

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I would recommend moving to the US. Go to one of our great universities. You'll love it. If you like pretty girls, you'd especially like attending UC Santa Barbara.

To answer your question, first consider that I
    a) get some of my food purchased by someone else,
    b) purchase some food I don't eat myself and
    c) eat some food that is free (well, if you don't count the water bill that I don't pay.)

A rough ballpark guess is about 1.5 cents per calorie or $30 per day.
    I hope I can go to one of the top universities. As I'm doing right at school I will make that probably.
    I have been to an american school for like a month last year because my mom could get a job there for a little while. I liked the girls better, here they're just..
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Also, I really wouldn't suggest anyone move to this country given the insanity of the political climate, but that's your choice of course!
    +1
    Or look at it like this, come to a US university on scholarship (should be relatively easy, we like foreign students) I'll pay for your education then go back to the Netherlands and you'll never have to repay me. Heck, have a couple kids before you go back, it's cool, I don't plan on retiring away.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    SB, California isn't part of "Real America", it's in Liberalia, which is Real America's dirty little hippy bitch, didn't you know?
    SB is full of billionaire "job creators". So yeah, whatev dude.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 10-02-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Added a smiley
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We are at $.007 per calorie (and that's NZ$).

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer37208 View Post
    eating the way we do can be a bit pricey. my girlfriend's brother is a huge critic of the paleo lifestyle and I've heard him call it elitist on several occasions.

I've adopted this philosophy; we're gonna pay for health either coming or going. now up front with quality food, or exorbitantly in medical bills later in life.
    I agree with this... sort of.

And while I don't have any food budget at all, I buy what I want when I want it (including the ridiculously priced organic Honey Crisp apples that just came in season)... I also pick up bargains like when I see an orgainic grassfed lamb shank marked down I snag it! Or when I talk the butcher into reserving me some beef knuckles at no charge... because he usually only sells marrow bones.

And I really think that over all we spend way LESS money because we don't but any packaged/processed junk at all.
    Everything is fresh vegetables, meats, fruits... a bit of rice.
    Even if you are getting premium grassfed organic meat all the time there are the co-ops and cow shares where it's really not that much more expensive than the price of conventional meat from the grocery store unless you only shop loss leader sales like an absolute hawk.

And guess what... We just eat less food too. We want to eat less.
    We don't want to sit and stuff our faces with those snacky processed foods.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a genius to figure out that value wise whole foods offer a better weight and volume/$ value that processed foods do... the old potatoes/$ vs chips/$

Paying a little more for good meat... I'm saving that money elsewhere anyway IMO.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I spend a lot because it's true, Santa Barbara is very expensive. I have been going to the farmer's market because it's fun to do. I can get equal (from the same farms) produce elsewhere for less, but I enjoy the scene with the music an bumping into people I know. I've been buying really expensive stuff like fresh oysters, grass-fed local lamb and beef and this goat cheese that's $13 for about 6 oz. I also have a tendency to end up with too much stuff in the fridge and freezer. There's about 14 bell peppers in there. I buy them faster than I eat them. I managed to eat some liver ordered from US Wellness about half a year ago the other day. I have some pork belly defrosting that's been in there at least a month. So my estimate was actually well on the high side, based more on what I spend vs what I actually eat. This week it'll be much much less.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmmm... assuming 2200 call/ day for each of us, and a weekly bill of ~$20-120 (depending on how often we went out to eat and sales,) we generally come in at $0.0045- $0.027 per cal. Mind you, this also includes Geek's non primal items and items like tp and saran wrap.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12