Thread: Hungry but not? page

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member

Hungry but not?

Shop Now
    What do you do when you're truly hungry - like, stomach growling hungry - but the thought of actually eating just doesn't appeal to you? This has been happening to me a lot lately. I've been using it as an opportunity to IF, but i can't shake the feeling that my body's trying to tell me it needs nourishment, and i don't want to unintentionally cause any kind of stress.

It's not a chronic thing - i eat one solid meal every day, and occasionally a small snack. But i'm wondering if I should listen to my stomach (hungry!), or my brain/tastebuds (food? Yuck. Maybe later). I do enjoy my food when i finally eat it, though.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I'd say do a combo of the two.

On occasion, it would be fine to fast through it until you REALLY want to eat, both physically AND mentally, but as your body may be telling you something, it would be good to listen to it at least every once in a while.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    When that happens to me, I always feel better as soon as I eat. I take it as a sign that I should not limit my intake so much.

If you are regularly eating "one solid meal every day", you will need to make sure you are getting *enough* food in that one meal to sustain you from day to day.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Jmagic is offline Junior Member
    You could try drinking some water. Maybe you're confusing hunger for thirst?

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I drink a TON of water. Borderline compulsively. I just love my water!

I've tried eating, but i literally gag after the first bite. The hunger pains usually go away on their own, my only concern is whether it might affect my cortisol levels. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues yet, but if it could down the road, i'd like to nip it in the bud.

I'm pretty sure i'm fine on overall calories - i'm losing fat, and i've built some nice muscle, so the body recomp is moving along nicely.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Just don't eat. I'm suffering from laryngitis right now and for 2 weeks I've had zero appetite. I just stop eating if I don't want to anymore. If I feel like I really need to give my body nutrition so as not to lose weight, I will eat something nutritionally dense like an avocado or some nuts.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest looking through the fridge and trying to figure out what you want. Maybe you have a craving for something in particular but you're just having trouble figuring out what. I had that with salt once, heh.

Deegie is offline Junior Member
    This has happened to me too. My stomach rumbles and feels empty but I'll be quite 'meh' about the idea of eating. Generally I eventually eat something cold and crispy - a small salad or a pear, and it stops which is good because I dont really like the empty sensation.

Deegie is offline Junior Member