Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Very slight milk sensitivity. Do I need to avoid butter?

Hybrid View

Very slight milk sensitivity. Do I need to avoid butter?

My doc did food sensitivity tests. It showed I have a slight sensitivity to dairy. Basically I'm at 0.4 on a scale of 0.35 to 100. To me that's so slight it hardly seems worth worrying about. But my doc wants me to cut out ALL dairy. However, from doing a little research online it seems the milk sensitivity test checks for sensitivity to milk proteins. Since butter is pretty much pure fat, zero protein, do I really need to avoid butter on a "dairy-free" diet? I really don't want to go back to margarines and the bad oils, fats, and other chemicals they contain.

I'm doing a dairy-free month as an experiment. About a week in and I'm fine, no cravings. Why don't you try following your doctor's advice, and if you don't feel any better and/or you're craving butter, introduce it back into your diet?

Also, forget margarine. Coconut oil is what you need. It works for me in all the instances I would've once used butter, but it does have that coconut flavor to it. Personally, I like the flavor, but I could see how some might be put off by it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I'm doing a dairy-free month as an experiment. About a week in and I'm fine, no cravings. Why don't you try following your doctor's advice, and if you don't feel any better and/or you're craving butter, introduce it back into your diet?

Also, forget margarine. Coconut oil is what you need. It works for me in all the instances I would've once used butter, but it does have that coconut flavor to it. Personally, I like the flavor, but I could see how some might be put off by it.
    No, I can't do coconut oil. I just don't like it enough to tolerate it flavoring all my foods with coconut flavor. I like a little in my coffee with cacao powder. But the idea of frying my eggs in coconut oil turns my stomach. It's not that I think I'll have a craving for butter. I just want something to cook with that won't flavor my food in strange ways like coconut oil, and something to top on the occasional sweet potato.

You can use ghee instead of butter if you can stand the taste. That doesn't have any protein left.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Butter still has the proteins. They're testing for casein, it sounds like. Make or buy some ghee. It's a bit off from butter, but is fine to cook with and melt.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Experiment with butter and ghee and see how you feel.

Skip the butter and go for ghee, and of course, extra virgin olive oil.

I agree I cannot abide eggs or vegetables fried in coconut oil, grosses me out to the max. :P