Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avoiding wheat when no sensitivity? page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

Avoiding wheat when no sensitivity?

It seems one of the philosophies behind a grain-free primal diet is the idea that we all have some degree of sensitivity to wheat, even if we have no full blown wheat or gluten allergy. But what if you have been tested for wheat sensitivity and it came out negative? Is there still really a significant advantage to avoiding it altogether? I agree all white flour products should be avoided by everyone just because "bad" carbs cause all sorts of health issues from high triglycerides to diabetes. But if if you have no wheat sensitivity is there really any reason to avoid the healthier forms of wheat, such as a slice of organic whole grain bread?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yep. You avoid consuming empty calories & increasing your appetite. No matter how whole, grains impact appetite more than anything else, causing false hunger. You can try for yourself, avoiding all grain products for 3-6 weeks, and counting calories to reach satiation. It will most likely be much lower (a few hundred calories).

Plus, have ever seen a loaf of bread that has one ingredient: wheat? Take a look at the list otherwise, and think if you want to consume everything else.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Everything Leida said is spot on.

If you must have bread, I'd get Ezekiel's organic sprouted multi-grain bread. I've got a loaf that sits in my freezer that my boyfriend eats maybe 2 slices of every week, and it's only 15g carbs a slice. Not horrible, but still not good. Grains are empty calories; it's not that they themselves are necessarily dangerous, it's that you're filling up on grains instead of eating something with more nutritional value.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 10-01-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    I have a sandwich everyday at lunch made with wheat bread, been eating lunch like this for the past twenty years, and I never had issues.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. Why do you say grains are empty calories? Yes, white flour is empty. But a whole grain bread slice does have protein, fats, vitamins, and minerals. Maybe not as nutritionally dense and liver or eggs. But definitely not empty.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The tests they do for celiac look for full-blown celiac. The allergy tests look for full-blown allergies. So if you have simply an insensitivity you will not get any results from any tests at the doctor's office. The best you can do is what Leida mentioned. Do an elimination and see if there's a difference.

I do not have any issues with wheat. I could eat some right now and not feel a thing. However, I never knew how much better it was possible to feel until I eliminated wheat and other grains. The difference is like night and day. I feel young for the first time in my life. I feel like I should have felt when I was 17 years old, only I'm 47 now. I feel like leaping and running and jumping for joy all the time. My life before was like swimming through molasses.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Whole grains or any type of grains are very empty calories and there is more going on than just sensitivity just search the threads there are lots of studies showing how bad they can be even if not sensitive to them and funny enough not one study showing they are actually good for you.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    The Grain Manifesto | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

Basically, any nutritional value in grains is far less than nutritional value found in other sources, compared to the caloric impact. Additionally, grains are designed by nature not to be digested. The fact that they do contain nutrients (in comparitively small amounts, mind you) is offset by the fact that your body cannot really absorb them, and so grain products pass through your system without your body actually taking in any nutrients - instead getting doses of things that are not good, like lectin or gluten.

You can eat bread if you want. But nutritionally there will always be better choices.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    I have a sandwich everyday at lunch made with wheat bread, been eating lunch like this for the past twenty years, and I never had issues.
    I used to think like you until I actually stopped eating that way - I will never go back to eating SAD!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast