Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding wheat when no sensitivity? page 3

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    Was I living like that before and just thought it was normal? Or has my system become more sensitive to wheat now that I've been away from it for a while?
    Probably a combination of the two. :P I's amazing what experimentation can teach us!

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    Yup. You will become more sensitive after avoiding it for a while. I'm coeliac and my reaction to gluten gets worse the longer I stay GF. Since going primal, my reaction to an accidental glutening is even worse, thankfully its only happened once.

Even if you tolerate wheat fine, it's still empty calories that spike your blood sugar and are abrasive on your digestive system.

If you are an adult, and you want to cut wheat out, then go for it, but be aware that your reactions may get more severe the longer you avoid the stuff. Which is probably telling you it's poison really.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I gained around 42 lbs after ditching wheat/gluten. If you are sensitive the signs will be obvious.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    How does one know if they're sensitive or not if they don't stop eating wheat? I had no idea it was the wheat (gluten). I wasn't even eating wheat every day. I didn't have any gastrointestinal problems on the days I did eat wheat. The doctor never suggested my eczema was caused by wheat- or any other food for that matter. I was totally clueless.

I decided that the only thing I had control over was what I put in my mouth. I fasted, cleared my skin, and pinpointed the culprit during careful re-feeding. I guess sensitivity can only be determined by trial and error~ just because you think you don't have an problem doesn't count if you have nothing to compare against.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I gained around 42 lbs after ditching wheat/gluten. .
    What? You gained weight but not eating wheat? I thought it was usually the other way around. What do you think would cause that? Compensation by eating more of other stuff to try and curb cravings?

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    I can eat wheat, since quitting wheat I've pretty much noticed no difference in my health, OTHER than weight loss.

Excluding 2 things, wheat and processed sugar, excludes a TON of what you can eat. It has eliminated virtually all of the empty calories I could eat before. When I eat wheat now, I don't feel any ill physical at all. I just choose not to eat it because I find it easier to not eat ANY processed foods than to pick and choose.

Lots of people live long, healthy, great lives eating wheat. Only you can make the choice of what to eat, based on how it makes you feel. I would chose baking it at home, so you know it's just the essential ingredients. Whole Foods has some good Sourdough loaves with very few ingredients...though they get hard and moldy fairly quick.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Wheat/gluten causes auto-immune issues which can range from eczema, hayfever to diabetes, ms and heaps of other diseases which only start to show as you get older. Most people who are gluten sensitive show no gut symptoms at all. Coeliacs are only one aspect of wheat intolerance.

Go listen to this neurologist. He knows what he is talking about.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67241.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    While I wasn't having a sandwich per day, up until very recently, I was allowing myself two slices of sourdough bread per week - that was my splurge with a burger. The only thing I noticed was a little a.m. passing of gas the next morning. No big. I think I've had one six pack of beer in the last six months (though I drink silver tequila with alarming regularity) - nothing from the beer even though its basically a grain drink. And nothing from the tequila ever.

So about a week ago, a few friends and I just got into a little party jag. Three days. After eating mostly non carby veggies and animals with a bit of fruit for the last six months, I figured no big deal. Much bread type foods were eaten. I just went to the restaurants they wanted to go to and ordered whatever looked good or whatever the waitperson recommended. I was on a Primal break. Woke up on morning four and honestly, I felt like I was under one of my pillows. I was stuffed up and a weird thing was my skin felt like it was dry, but from the inside. When I touched it, it wasn't dry... I don't know how to explain it - maybe it felt like I'd been dipped in flour? I also felt sluggish and stupid. And in my mind, if I'm going to feel sluggish and stupid, it should be from tequila, not bread/wheat/pizza.

Anyway, I got out of bed, went straight to the freezer and threw that silly loaf of sourdough into the garbage. If three days could do that to me, why even bother with two slices per week? That night I had a burger with some avocado, cherry tomatos, and a tablespoon of balsamic on it, and damn it tasted better than anything I'd had in days.

So, basically, I've seen the light. Which doesn't mean I'm not going to make baked ziti for xmas or new year because it's kind of a tribute to someone. But every week? Not this girl.

The link to the thread with the neurologist - he says that 70% of us have some negative reaction to wheat even if we don't know it. I believe it.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Whole grains or any type of grains are very empty calories and there is more going on than just sensitivity just search the threads there are lots of studies showing how bad they can be even if not sensitive to them and funny enough not one study showing they are actually good for you.
    I am amazed at this claim that whole grains are empty calories. Here is NutritionData's breakdown of 100 grams of whole wheat floor

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Wheat flour, whole-grain

Just look at the B vitamins, manganese, iron, selenium, phosphorus, potassium... and compare it to 100 grams of carrots

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Carrots, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt

I haven't eaten wheat flour for 3 years - but looking at this, I am tempted to try making long fermented sourdough bread and see if I can tolerate it.

What an easy way to get hard to obtain minerals into the diet!

I'm not actually going to add wheat back - since ditching grains I've improved asthma, lowered blood pressure, felt SO much fitter, and largely got rid of psoriasis (had totally gone but puzzling little flare up recently!) and lost lots of weight. But whole wheat flour is far far from an empty calorie.
    Last edited by breadsauce; 10-13-2012 at 01:30 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    You are comparing a cup of flour with a tablespoon of carrots. If you compare the 120 grams of flour with 100 grams of spinach, I think you'll see why people call wheat/flour/etc. "empty." Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Spinach, raw

407 cal vs 23 cal. Much higher glycemic load. Moderate inflammatory vs Strongly anti-inflammatory. Neither is the perfect food, of course. And if you're going back to bread, it might as well be sourdough for the fermentation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast