Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding wheat when no sensitivity? page 2

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I eat pasta every now and then. I found an einkorn pasta and eat that about once a month.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Wheat is nutritionally very poor, especially when it is processed into bread. The caloric value is immense though for what you are getting and for how fast you get hungry. What you get is greatly reduced by processing and natural and artificial add ons that prevents absorbtion of nutrients since the grain was not designed by nature to be digested. It was designed to be pooped out. Legumes, millet or buckwheat cooked in a traditional way, quinoa... I can see the argument there. But bread is only good for those poor folks who can't gain weight at all. Maybe not even for them. I mean, if you ground your own flour, and baked it without any artificial crap, unleavened, and you had no way of obtaining calories any other way... bread/grain is a starvation food.

Look, it's so easy to see if you are better or not without grains. Just don't eat it for 6 or so weeks, and see if you have a positive difference. I noticed it on Day 2 of dropping processed grains (I was still eating traditional cooked cereal and legumes). It was ridiculous, how much better I felt and how much less I ate.

But you maybe one of those wondrous people who can eat half a muffin for breakfast and toss the rest in the garbage, then have three macaroni's with half a slice of cheese and an apple for lunch and maybe a toast for supper with a smear of peanut butter, and roll on happily saying how they are not hungry at all and how meat has a disgusting texture.

So, experiment! All the science in the world is pointless if you do not know because you have seen it.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-01-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I used to think like you until I actually stopped eating that way - I will never go back to eating SAD!
    What does SAD stand for?

Jmagic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    What does SAD stand for?
    I believe it stands for Standard American Diet.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
    This is great-- definitely sharing this with the doubters in my life! Thanks for passing it on!

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
    I like this part. What they really want to say is 'people will lose their addiction to it, eat less of it, and we won't sell as much.'

"This thing binds into the opiate receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year. Asked if the farming industry could change back to the grain it formerly produced, Davis said it could, but it would not be economically feasible because it yields less per acre."

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The tests they do for celiac look for full-blown celiac. The allergy tests look for full-blown allergies. So if you have simply an insensitivity you will not get any results from any tests at the doctor's office. The best you can do is what Leida mentioned. Do an elimination and see if there's a difference.

I do not have any issues with wheat. I could eat some right now and not feel a thing. However, I never knew how much better it was possible to feel until I eliminated wheat and other grains. The difference is like night and day. I feel young for the first time in my life. I feel like I should have felt when I was 17 years old, only I'm 47 now. I feel like leaping and running and jumping for joy all the time. My life before was like swimming through molasses.
    Exactly this.

I could have said that eating a can of frosting for lunch wasn't harming me 30 years ago, because I felt just fine, but it was still doing damage anyway.

The tests for celiac only give a positive result if you've pretty much destroyed all of the villi, and the other tests for gluten sensitivity aren't even close to comprehensive, so they're really pretty pointless.

I didn't think wheat was an issue for me. I had been eating it my whole life, and I'm 47. Then I dropped it and felt so much better. Accidentally ate some ( those $&@# meatballs) and THEN I could see how much they messed with my gut (and skin and nervous system).
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Give this a read and tell me if you still feel Wheat is no big deal.

Hey Robb, this person said gluten free diets are bogus!

Cheers,

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    I learned my lesson. Feeling depressed about having to give up dairy I decided I would allow myself a little wheat. I got a small loaf of "light" whole grain bread and at a slice or two a day. After a few days I was suffering from gas and constant heartburn. I quit the wheat and it took 2 more days to get over the gas and heartburn. Was I living like that before and just thought it was normal? Or has my system become more sensitive to wheat now that I've been away from it for a while? In any case, no more! That was miserable.
    Last edited by Sunnivara; 10-12-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast