Thread: Hello from London page

upupandaway is offline Senior Member

Hello from London

Primal Fuel
    Hello!

I started transitioning to paleo eating a couple of weeks ago after stumbling across the Balanced Bites podcast and listening to about 8 episodes in a weekend. I was already aware of paleo/primal eating and living, but wasn't quite ready to try it. Now I've been at it for 2 weeks and I already love it - the gap between my meals has stretched and stretched (I've been able to cut snacks out almost completely), I have lots of energy, I feel lighter and more flexible, my clothes are looser and my skin looks clearer and softer too. I've been reading blogs voraciously and ordered The Primal Blueprint today.

I've cut out grains, legumes and sugar. I didn't eat a lot of dairy, and I don't feel ready to try life without butter yet. I don't own scales, although I know roughly what I weigh, I'm more interested in feeling fit and looking healthy. (I measure fat loss with clothes/the tape measure!)

I wasn't eat dreadfully prior to this - lots of veg and good quality meat and eggs, almost no fast-food or ready meals, but I was absolutely hooked on grains (both whole and white) and pulses, and had to eat something every 3 hrs or I felt horribly hungry and emotional.

A teeny bit about me: I'm 32, live in London and work for a charity. For exercise, I like dancing, yoga, walking and T-tapp (which I know a couple of American ladies who post on here also enjoy!).

I'm hoping to get physically and mentally fitter, as well as improve my sleep and relaxation, and although my sleep is a bit weird currently as I haven't quite worked out how to deal with the extra energy, so far so good.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I'm hoping to get physically and mentally fitter, as well as improve my sleep and relaxation, and although my sleep is a bit weird currently as I haven't quite worked out how to deal with the extra energy, so far so good.
    Yeah, that's very important. This four minute talk is worth listening to:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jessa_gamble_how_to_sleep.html

If a crab reacts like that, what might disrupted day-night cycles do to you? Nothing good. However, for you the signal comes through the eye: you react to light and dark. I think you should naturally shut down as it turns darker, and if you don't it's not because you have more energy, but because your circadian rhythms are out of whack. You should be able to get them back in sync by keeping lights low in the evening (preferably using red bulbs) and not watching TV or using a computer within a couple of hours of going to bed:

This piece by the Caveman Doctor on sleep is good. At the end of the piece he gives you 8 tips:

Sleeping Away Cancer - Caveman Doctor

Thanks for the links. My sleep hygiene is actually pretty good and I hoped cutting sugar out would help me drop off faster, actually the reverse has happened - I'm hoping this is temporary!
    Last edited by upupandaway; 10-02-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    live in London
    I'lll be down for my grandson's birthday at Tolworth over the weekend. Have a look at the shops in Kingston on Saturday, taking my own Primal Packup for lunch by the river if the weather's OK.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I'lll be down for my grandson's birthday at Tolworth over the weekend. Have a look at the shops in Kingston on Saturday, taking my own Primal Packup for lunch by the river if the weather's OK.
    Sounds lovely!

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    'ello There's a Facebook group here https://www.facebook.com/PrimalBlueprintMeetupsUk

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    Hello! Welcome to the forum

Thanks Gary - I signed up for the Primal Britain newsletter a couple of days ago.

thienu is offline Junior Member
    good post