Thread: New Member - Trying to find a resourceful home.. page

cramernh Guest

Red face New Member - Trying to find a resourceful home..

Primal Fuel
    Hello from New Hampshire! Ive been trying to read as much as I can between PB, Paleo and Dr Kruse’s Leptin Rx and how it translates for women with PCOS, Metabolic Syndromes, Insulin Resistance and how it fits into this picture.

I am exactly 100lbs away from reaching goal. I have lost about 43lbs on my own but I seem to have a very resistant liver from kicking into overdrive to keep moving forward.

I have a funny feeling that my early morning exercises are the problem where cortisol levels tend to be higher in the morning. So, I took this past week off to recouperate from exercising and doing more and more (and more) research.

Ive been trying to get my Endocrinologist to possibly consider other areas that might have been missed. But, she seems to think she has tested everything thus far.

A little background, I work in healthcare as a Certified Advanced Medical Biller in over 30+ specialties of medicine. I also have a background as a chef with a good knowledge base of restrictive dietary intakes – thanks to working in healthcare.

In a three month span, I completely eliminated any chances of developing diabetes, correcting my cholesterol panel of 252 down to 117. My HDL of 86 sparked a lot of interest from many physicians in the medical community. All of my most recent/common labs are within normal limits, however… I do believe that there is more to my liver that seems to be missing.

My cortisols were tested and determined to be within normal range however, I don’t know if patients such as myself are more predisposed to having higher levels of cortisol during the waking hours or not… it seems to me that could be the case given the hormonal regulations with prescriptions. I am always researching as much data as possible...and ultimately it can help in my line of work as well.

I eat 100% clean. I have been free of potatoes, corn, pasta, flour, breads, rice, soda for a large time frame. Very rarely do I have a 4oz boiled sweet potato… but that’s about it.

I look forward to any and all help, feedback and suggestions as I am very active in and around my healthcare community. Hopefully I can pay it forward for someone else as well!

Cheers from Manchester, NH

Melanie

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Some more detail and diet, exercise and play would help.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cramernh View Post
    I look forward to any and all help, feedback and suggestions as I am very active in and around my healthcare community.
    Melanie, Calorie counting is working for me although I know my calculations will not be anywhere near precise. I've lost 46lbs since early March at a steady rate by doing this. I am expecting the rate to drop off as I get closer to my goal and am hopefully putting on lean muscle.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cramernh View Post
    Hello from New Hampshire!
    Hi! and welcome

Ive been trying to get my Endocrinologist to possibly consider other areas that might have been missed. But, she seems to think she has tested everything thus far.
    You already mentioned PCOS and now this post is getting dangerously close to "I'd like advice on my endocrine system, because I don't trust my medical advisor."

No-one with any sense is going to touch that with a bargepole. First, the legality is probably doubtful. Secondly, those who know enough to know they don't know won't comment, and anyone qualified to comment won't sight unseen on an Internet board.

All people can really give is general advice on diet and exercise. To be honest there are about half a dozen questions that tend to come up here and the answers are:

1. try drinking a little more water and eating a little more salt (and perhaps taking some magnesium);
    2. you don't need to count calories or weigh and measure things -- just eat the right foods and eat to satiety;
    3. you should eat more;
    4. you should eat more fat -- the PB isn't low-carb and low-fat;
    5. try doing less exercise, or less of that sort of exercise at any rate;
    6. I should see your doctor.

I eat 100% clean. I have been free of potatoes, corn, pasta, flour, breads, rice, soda for a large time frame. Very rarely do I have a 4oz boiled sweet potato… but that’s about it.
    You've got that covered then. What you said is spot-on as far as it goes. You said you'd been researching, and I expect you're eating knowledgeably in other respects, too.

In case you missed it, Mark's Guide is online here:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

You mentioned Dr. Kruse. Here's his dietary advice:

BRAIN GUT 6: EPI-PALEO Rx | Living an Optimized Life

I guess you could also have a look at Dr. Terry Wahls website and the Whole 9 website to compare and contrast dietary advice in the ancestral health space.

If you wanted to post a food log for a few days, you'd certainly get responses. If you posted it over on the "Nutrition" board, which is busier, people would probably be falling over themselves to give you opinions, many of which would be contradictory, and it would probably end in a flame war.

If you really don't feel your current medical advisors have a handle on things, then I'd get a second opinion. If you're already interested in the Leptin Reset, then a consultation with Dr. Kruse would probably be interesting. Otherwise, you could have a look at the Paleo Physicians network and see if any of them are in your area:

Paleo Physicians Network

cramernh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Hi! and welcome

You already mentioned PCOS and now this post is getting dangerously close to "I'd like advice on my endocrine system, because I don't trust my medical advisor."
    Thats actually a bad assumption - I never said nor implied that I am asking for medical advice. I work in healthcare.... Im not about to do something dumb like that.... just incredible

Coming here and already having you automatically making an assumption is probably an indicator of my making a bad decision to come here....

Ill work on deleting my account when I get home....

This truly was a bad idea...
    Last edited by cramernh; 10-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.

cramernh Guest
    Yeah.. I just came back to reread my OP - I dont know how the hell anyone would make such an assumption.. nothing there even REMOTELY says Im looking for medical advice...never mind waiting... Ill delete this account right now.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ah, you did say you'd been at Jack Kruse's site. Had a look there. This posted there to a lady with severe problems who was asking for support from members:

People like me.... well.... that was a pretty nasty ass statement.

Let me tell you something. People like me work with people like you for a living. ...
    Getting discouraged - Need suggestions - Page 3

I'd love to get that post if had problems so bad I couldn't stop crying, like the lady in question.