Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: chia seeds page 2

  1. #11
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,272
    Primal Fuel
    you see this is something i always wonder about these funky wonder foods. if they do have phytates in them, the wrap recipe uses a negligable amount and i pick my battles with the kids. it will still be way way better than store brought GF bread for sandwiches. and at least i can shove loads more veges and cold meat into them that they wouldnt be eating otherwise.

  2. #12
    Antiochia's Avatar
    Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    301
    Mark wrote about chia seeds recently and judged them to be primal:

    Are Chia Seeds Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Ruth

    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

    See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

  3. #13
    meeme's Avatar
    meeme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennswoods
    Posts
    119
    I just made your chia seed pudding with coconut milk...it was marvelous! Tasty and filling it's a great idea, Thanks!

  4. #14
    Antiochia's Avatar
    Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    I just made your chia seed pudding with coconut milk...it was marvelous! Tasty and filling it's a great idea, Thanks!
    I haven't tried it with coconut milk -- I was afraid the fat in the coconut milk would make clumps when the pudding was chilled and I didn't want grainy clumps of coconut oil in my pudding. Now, with your encouragement, I should probably try it and see!
    Ruth

    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

    See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

  5. #15
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,272
    i can get a brand of coconut milk which is fair traded here that is only about 1g less fat per can than coconut cream and it doesnt do that clumpy fat thing when it gets cold. i make coconut milk creme brulee without sugar with it which is divinely smooth. what sort of flavour do chia seeds have or is it just a texture thing?

  6. #16
    meeme's Avatar
    meeme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennswoods
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    I haven't tried it with coconut milk -- I was afraid the fat in the coconut milk would make clumps when the pudding was chilled and I didn't want grainy clumps of coconut oil in my pudding. Now, with your encouragement, I should probably try it and see!
    I didn't put it back in the fridge. I kept it in the mason jar and took it with me and shook it now and then. Once all the liquid had been absorbed I added more coconut milk and used the back of a spoon to separate any clumps. I have half of it left for tomorrow..I put a tiny bit of honey and vanilla in. Yum.

  7. #17
    meeme's Avatar
    meeme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennswoods
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i can get a brand of coconut milk which is fair traded here that is only about 1g less fat per can than coconut cream and it doesnt do that clumpy fat thing when it gets cold. i make coconut milk creme brulee without sugar with it which is divinely smooth. what sort of flavour do chia seeds have or is it just a texture thing?
    No flavor, tiny crunch. The texture didn't bother me at all...the visual is something else. Not terrible but very different.

    Your coconut creme brulee sounds killer!

  8. #18
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,272
    its literally just coconut milk and egg yolks and vanilla. so sub the coconut milk for the cream in a creme brulee recipe and ditch the sugar altogether. the key is to chill it right down before you eat it but then that goes for the real creme brulee as well. i eat is as is but you could also eat it with fruit like berries. my feeling too is if you melted in an amount of 85% chocolate it would prob be pretty special. maybe for xmas lol

    hopefully i dont get distracted and remeber to get some chia seeds tomorrow.

  9. #19
    meeme's Avatar
    meeme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennswoods
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    its literally just coconut milk and egg yolks and vanilla. so sub the coconut milk for the cream in a creme brulee recipe and ditch the sugar altogether. the key is to chill it right down before you eat it but then that goes for the real creme brulee as well. i eat is as is but you could also eat it with fruit like berries. my feeling too is if you melted in an amount of 85% chocolate it would prob be pretty special. maybe for xmas lol

    hopefully i dont get distracted and remeber to get some chia seeds tomorrow.
    I've copied this to my Paleo food doc for later. I'll give this a try, Thanks.

  10. #20
    Antiochia's Avatar
    Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    I didn't put it back in the fridge. I kept it in the mason jar and took it with me and shook it now and then. Once all the liquid had been absorbed I added more coconut milk and used the back of a spoon to separate any clumps. I have half of it left for tomorrow..I put a tiny bit of honey and vanilla in. Yum.
    You are probably right -- if you eat it within a day or two it probably would not need to be refrigerated. I hadn't thought of that!
    Ruth

    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

    See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •