Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Snack Problem page 3

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Got an interesting issue, I'm not able to eat enough calories to keep gaining weight. I probably need to eat another 500 kcals/day, I'm eating about as much eggs/chicken/bacon/milk/tuna as I can tolerate. So I need some portable, tasty, primal snacks!

Criteria:
    Portable
    High Fat/High Protein-carbs are ok but I don't really need more than I'm getting.
    Tasty
    Cheaper the better, because I eat a lot.
    Getting sick of chicken and tuna? Eat meat with fat in it! I know you're in Hawaii and other meats are probably really expensive, but that's a starting point. A half a pound of 80/20 ground beef has 400 calories, about 230 of which are coming from fat. Most of the rest is protein. Ground pork might be a cheaper option for you- it appears to have similar fat/protein content. A can of oily fish like sardines or mackerel or something might help as well as being good for you.

In Hawaii, I'd say add coconut. I made some snacky treats once that were coconut oil, coconut flakes, cocoa, chopped nuts, and dates (or some other sticky dried fruit, for sweetness). Make bite-sized pieces, then stick them in the refrigerator. Lots of fat, some carbs, and pretty delicious. I can't find the exact recipe, but I'm sure there's quite a few out there.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Can't find any decent quality ground beef though. It all seem to be the McD's quality.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Well I found one solution: half a cup of heavy cream with my morning coffee. 400 kcal =). And my friend is making me eat every time I see her.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Make your own paleo kits.

Costco baby!

few bags of jerky
    bag of nut/fruit mix
    bag of raw coconut

air-vac seal bag your portions..bam!
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Wanderlust, My DH has the same problem, althou he is not primal by any means........ I make up a scroggin mix for him to snack on through out the day. Chopped dark chocolate, chopped apricots, chopped dried mango, cashews, almonds etc....
    he finds a handful of this several times throughout the day - great.
    I have also just made some cream cheese things.....mix nuts and dried fruit with cream cheese. Let it firm up a little in the fridge, roll into balls and dip in melted dark chocolate.
    I realise that this is a bit more expensive , but you could make a batch and freeze them. Then they are just special treats.

good luck
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

ctfranklin28 is offline Junior Member
    I actually encountered the same problem when I made the commitment to "up my Paleo". I wrote a blog post about it, but some ideas you might consider include:
    1. Hard-boiled eggs
    2. Jerky
    3. Trail Mix
    4. Fruit

add pemmican to that list and you have all my favorites as well.

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    What is pemmican?

Also, for those that might not be able to eat cocunut milk and given that cows milk is a little forwned upon here, any alternatives? Soya milk?

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Pemmican is a traditional native american high energy snack made of dried/pulverized meat and rendered fat. Some added some native berries for flavor but traditionally it was just pulverized jerkey mixed with rendered fat at a 2/1 ratio of meat to fat.

It was basically an old version of what we call sausage - but actually was really good for you. It provided a lot of energy, traveled well and was metabolized very slowly over time. As such it was perfect for winter travel but was utilized all year long.

Recipes are all over the net.

I can't recommend soy products at all as all soy is completely GMO. The toxic value alone will trigger an immune response. I've never met anyone who achieved a change of any kind on soy. A lot of them felt they were doing the right thing - but I've never seen a functional change in any regard.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do the same thing as jfreaksho with the coconut oil snacks, except I like them as a replacement for sweets. Melt coconut oil with dark chocolate, then stir in coconut flakes, nuts, dried fruit etc. Pour that mixture into a baking dish -lining with foil makes it easier, then pop into the freezer. Once it has solidified but isn't frozen, take out and slice. I remove the foil from te dish at that point and just store it in my freezer in the foil. Tasty calorie bombs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast