Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Snack Problem page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    1 cup of heavy cream will run you 800 cals. I like to mix 1/2c cream in a protein shake in the morning. Some days I have a hard time getting enough cals, too, so I turn to cream.
    Exactly.

I don't think that more snacks are the answer to insufficient calories.

I IF and only eat once a day. So in order to have enough calories, after having my large dinner, I top it off with dessert, made up of a baked banana topped with a piece of dark chocolate, in about 150mL cream.

Then if I'm still hungry, I have it again.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

DirtRoadRunner is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeska View Post
    I love nuts as a snack but due to the high fat content is it ok to eat more than a handful a day??
    If you are trying to gain weight, absolutely. I eat about a handful a day usually except when backpacking, when I eat at least a cup (and probably 500-1000 calories a day...) from nuts/nut butters, and lose weight due to extremely high levels of exertion (say 5,500 calories a day, multiple days in a row). Nuts are the best high-calorie, easily portable food, IMO.

bikeirguy is offline Member
    Nuts, a variety of sausages (from a butcher that uses only good meats and maybe avoids nitrates), blood sausage (from a butcher that adds lots of fat), cans of anchovies and pork rinds (or make your own chicken and/or turkey skin "rinds") come to mind immediately. Although they have carbs, avocados (homemade guacamole!) are relatively portable and full of calories and fat.

The initial question noted tiring of chicken, milk and tuna. I would recommend looking a couple of alternatives. If it is just "milk" I would suggest high fat yogurt and high fat cheeses. I am experimenting with high fat (11% - the highest I can find in Canada) plain Greek-style yogurt that I mix with coconut milk and coconut flakes - yummy and full of healthy fats (I am OK with lactose). Think about switching out chicken for higher fat alternatives - lamb, fatty cuts of pork (pulled pork anyone?), rib eyes, etc. Assuming that the tuna comment was canned tuna, think about canned salmon as a flavour break...

My two cents...
    Kevin

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
    William James
    US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 1910)

JohnnyNull is offline Member
    I started alternating between milk and coconut milk.

MistressM is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Got an interesting issue, I'm not able to eat enough calories to keep gaining weight. I probably need to eat another 500 kcals/day, I'm eating about as much eggs/chicken/bacon/milk/tuna as I can tolerate. So I need some portable, tasty, primal snacks!

Criteria:
    Portable
    High Fat/High Protein-carbs are ok but I don't really need more than I'm getting.
    Tasty
    Cheaper the better, because I eat a lot.
    Smoosh up a drained can of chick peas with some full fat homemade yogurt. Eat this with fruit or veggie sticks such as apples, celery and carrots. Yum.

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    Banana smoothie made with coconut milk and a tablespoon of flax or hemp oil?

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    cans of coconut milk to go with your stick of butter?

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Yeah somehow that doesn't sound *that* appetizing.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    What about pemmican?
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mightstone2k View Post
    I haven't tried this myself, but I intend to. Spread guac/cream cheese/nut butter/spreadable cheese on a seaweed sheet, add sliced meat or smoked salmon, and roll it up like sushi.
    I don't eat nut butters, but love lox and goat cheese rolled in seaweed/nori. First time I tried it I wondered why the heck I'd eaten that combo on a bagel all those years. The flavors are so much richer without bread.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast