Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is your being primal, hurting your family? Nutritionally that is. page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    All you gotta do is make the meals low fat and add your fat afterward. A nice healthy piece of salmon won't hurt anybody on any diet. A nice potato won't hurt anybody. You can put butter and sour cream on yours. They can put smart beat or whatever abomination on theirs. You can even make yours a sweet potato and let them have white potatoes if that's the way you roll. A nice pile of cooked greens or any kind of steamed veggie is good for everybody. You can slather yours with butter and bacon grease. Chicken with the skin on tastes great. They can peel the skin off and give it to you. Any dish served over rice or pasta can be served over zucchini or sweet potatoes on your plate. I'm a big fan of burrito bowls. Let them have all the tortillas. Most people like eggs for breakfast. Maybe your wife will like an egg white omelet and you can get extra yolks for your own. And if steak or pork chops is ever an issue, well then, you get steak and everybody else can have a reheated frozen dinner. You get the idea.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am very fortunate to have my family follow me into Primal, and that eating benefited them. Only yesterday my husband told me that he only has one hole left on his belt. He did not lose that much weight and getting him out of the over-weight range might not happen (he needs to go to ~ 180 lbs), but he stopped ballooning up to 210+ lbs all the time, and holds low 190's easily. My kid is 6, she is stronger than average according to the city's assessment program, full of life and has a sunny temperament that everyone comments on. Yep, I am just lucky.

Yesterday we were doing a picnic in the forest, and I was thinking how easy it was being primal. I had a box of chopped veggies, threw in a few boiled eggs, a couple cans of sardines for my wee one and myself and a baggie of home-made turkey jerky for my hubby. Plus a couple of apples and 2 cups of grapes for my folks. Super easy, super-fast and no fuss. My kid complained that sardines did not have fish brains, so I had to promise her to show her fish brains next time I make soup with salmon heads.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I've been mostly primal for a year and lost weight, however my husband has gained weight because he still ate CW away from home. He's going Primal with me this month though, hooray! Our 4-year-old is mostly primal, I pack her breakfast/lunch for school, but I'm not strict because she eats the way we do most of the time. She's skinny and active though. She does get gluten-free waffles, mac-and-cheese, and bread sometimes, but I'm working on Primal alternatives and phasing those out as well.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    SAD is high fat and sugar. Plus too many calories. Not enough nutrition.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    All you gotta do is make the meals low fat and add your fat afterward. A nice healthy piece of salmon won't hurt anybody on any diet. A nice potato won't hurt anybody. You can put butter and sour cream on yours. They can put smart beat or whatever abomination on theirs. You can even make yours a sweet potato and let them have white potatoes if that's the way you roll. A nice pile of cooked greens or any kind of steamed veggie is good for everybody. You can slather yours with butter and bacon grease. Chicken with the skin on tastes great. They can peel the skin off and give it to you. Any dish served over rice or pasta can be served over zucchini or sweet potatoes on your plate. I'm a big fan of burrito bowls. Let them have all the tortillas. Most people like eggs for breakfast. Maybe your wife will like an egg white omelet and you can get extra yolks for your own. And if steak or pork chops is ever an issue, well then, you get steak and everybody else can have a reheated frozen dinner. You get the idea.
    My boyfriend lives off ramen & my primal dinners, for the most part. And cake. He usually bakes about a cake a week, or one batch of cookies a week. I cook everything in plenty of fat, so I'm assuming he's kind of screwed, especially since his dad and dad's dad have diabetes. I honestly don't even know how to make a meal low fat when it comes to the meat. Steaming veggies is no issue.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Daisynyc is offline Member
    I agree with sbhikes. My family doesn't follow PB, but they don't eat SAD either.Somewhere in between, with lower sugar and processed foods and as much whole and organic as possible. I keep the protein lean to avoid the issue you mention. Meals are usually some kind of protein (salmon, beef, whole roast chicken etc.) lots of vegetables and sometimes rice or similar on the side for them. Or I make winter squash soup, which we all love. Meatballs and spaghetti - with zucchini noodles for me. Primal meat loaf - they can't tell the difference. Organic sausage with peppers - rice for them. They love to make pizzas on top of tortillas - I just make mine on sliced eggplant.

It's true that I don't frequently get to enjoy short ribs or some of the other yummies that other folks here make regularly. Once in a while, I make it anyway.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Geek and I split the difference. We make a joint meal both of us will eat and then he or I (or both) will have a pan off to one side with whatever it is we're doing different. Spag/ pasta is a great example: we'll have the spag sauce, I'll have my squash in the nuker, and he'll have a pot of water going. So's curry: We have the main curry dish, then he has his rice is the rice cooker and I have my greens in the microwave or a saute pan.
    Do it that style with your wife, and have the kids try both versions. They may come to be more primal than you think they would want to be.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    scary, fat is stored in the presence of carbohydrate
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123