Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you cook with fresh tomatoes? page

Antiochia is online now Senior Member

How do you cook with fresh tomatoes?

Primal Fuel
    I've been thinking I should eliminated canned tomatoes. I use lots of fresh raw tomatoes, but I'm not sure how to cook with them. I've always used canned. Do you just cut the tomatoes up and throw them in soup or a stew? Should you do something to prepare them first? Do you need to peel them? If you cook with fresh tomatoes, what do YOU do? Thanks for any suggestions!
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

avelin is offline Senior Member
    I cut them up and throw them in....
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

peril is offline Senior Member
    Cut them up and add them to the dish. Will take a little longer to pulp but that is the only effect. I prefer the taste of fresh over canned.

Peeling is optional. Two ways to peel: with a sharp paring knife if the tomato is not too ripe; or dip in boiling water for a few seconds then pull off the skin
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Treat them like canned, but more delicious. I eat loads of tomatoes in season now. Also, a salad of just ripe local tomatoes, bit of cheese, olive oil and vinegar is awesome.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I put them on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 or 15 minutes. Then peel them (after they cool a bit), toss them in the blender with jalapeño, onion, and garlic and blend into salsa. Pour over taco salad, chicken, and of course eggs!!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I just chop them up and throw them in the pan! They cook just fine . If you want to peel them, the boiling water trick is what I use, but make sure you cut an X at the end of the tomato, so you get some easy to peel bits of skin!

TheodoraB. is offline Member
    I like 'tomates à la provençale' (Provencal tomatoes), works well with meat or fish.
    Cut the tomatoes in halves, place them in a baking dish with a just a little water.
    Pour a bit of olive oil on them, add some garlic (powder or pressed), salt, pepper, herbs (chives, oregano, parsley...) and also parmesan cheese (to replace breadcrumbs) if you like but it's not necessary.
    Bake them in a preheated oven at 350°F for +/-30 minutes.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” ― George Bernard Shaw

Female 5'6.5"
    Grok since 08-25-2012
    Before Primal : 198 lbs
    CW : 176.8 lbs

Calorie Counter

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    A little cheat for slipping tomato skins without hot fingers...
    Pop them in the freezer overnight.
    When they thaw their skins slip exactly like they have been blanched, but it's less work.
    And no burnt fingers (if you are me).

We used to do this when doing huge batches in the summers when we canned and put by until we turned blue.
    Having one less pot boiling was a blessing.

Now I use this trick to collect any salad tomatoes that are starting to get just too soft for salad, but still are not bad.
    Into a big freezer bag they go until I have a big batch to thaw, peel, and cook.
    Romas are world WORLDS better... but hey... it's frugal.
    Last edited by cori93437; 10-01-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Now I use this trick to collect any salad tomatoes that are starting to get just too soft for salad, but still are not bad.
    Into a big freezer bag they go until I have a big batch to thaw, peel, and cook.
    Romas are world WORLDS better... but hey... it's frugal.
    Fabulous idea! Freezer space is valuable real estate but I will be using this one! Thanks!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    This thread is making me want to eat "tomato mush" again. Tomato mush is chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, some garlic, and a chunk of butter stewed up for awhile. Then some cooked bacon is added to the tomato mush, and most of the water is cooked away. NOM NOM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast